LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Fort Dodge Cemetery


category : Cemeteries
Fort Dodge Cemetery Both civilians and soldiers were buried in the military cemetery. The saying then was "the rich are buried at the Fort and the cowhands and poor are buried on Boot Hill or gone to "hell." Friends and family buried Marshal Ed Masterson, Bat's brother, at Fort Dodge in 1878. Some drunken cowboys killed the Marshal in a dance hall south of the railroad tracks in Dodge City when he tried to enforce a disturbance of peace incident. Masterson's body was later moved to a cemetery that no longer exists in Dodge City. No evidence of his burial site remains today. The bodies of military personnel were removed to Fort Leavenworth in 1886. Presently, the cemetery is part of the Kansas Soldier's Home property.


Address: Located across the highway from Ft. Dodge, 5 miles east on Hwy. U.S. 154/400
Phone: 620-227-2121

Come visit us in Dodge City, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Santa FeTrail Tracks

Tracks of the original wagon trail used by pioneers from 1821 to 1872 are located nine miles west of town. This site, listed on the National Register of Historic Sites, contains the largest continuous stretch of clearly defined tracks along the entire route of the trail.

Dodge City, KS Landmarks

"El Capitan"

A bronze statue by Jasper D'Ambrosi commemorates the 1875 - 1885 Texas cattle drives to Dodge City. The sculpture represents longhorns who emerged as leaders and led many drives up the dusty trail from Texas. Coronado'

Dodge City, KS Monuments

Dodge City Trolley

Learn Dodge City's history and folklore on a narrated tour of sites where history was made. Visit original locations of the Longbranch Saloon, Gospel Hill, the "deadline" and Front Street where "shoot outs" occurred in the early days of Dodge City. Tour Fort Dodge and see the Fort's 1860

Dodge City, KS Tours

Kansas Teachers' Hall of Fame

The Kansas Teachers' Hall of Fame is the first one of it'

Dodge City, KS Halls of Fame

Fort Dodge

Fort Dodge was established April 10, 1865 by Captain Henry Pierce, 11th Kansas Cavalry, by order of Major General Grenville M. Dodge, commanding the department. Although there is some doubt, the post was probably named for Colonel Henry Dodge, 1st U. S. Dragoons.

Dodge City, KS Forts

Things to do Cemeteries near Dodge City, KS

Wichita County Cemeteries

An effort has been made to compile records on all known cemeteries and single graves that are known to exist in Wichita Count...