LASR.net Homepage



Menu

Garden City, Kansas

Garden City, Kansas

The first years of this young town's history are full of names and events that prove people were industrious, imaginative and resourceful. By 1883, trainloads of Easterners were coming out to lay claim on this fertile river bottom land, lured by land speculators and their own dreams of being a part of the Western Expansion.

The William D. Fulton family moved into their historic Garden City home from their homestead in September of 1884. Fulton and his brother, James, were the first to file on land in (Sequoyah) Finney County. They were buffalo hunters who saw the potential for a town. W.D. Fulton built a hotel and engaged in farming. The brothers donated a large portion of their land to the A.T.&S.F. Railroad to encourage the railroad officials to make Garden City a regular stop. Garden City got its name from the beautiful garden that Mrs. Fulton grew.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Finney Game Refuge

The Sandsage Bison Range is a 3,670

Garden City, KS Wildlife Refuges

Buffalo Dunes Municipal Golf

Few communities of Garden City's size can boast two regulation golf courses within a couple of miles of town. While the country club course is one of the best around, this municipal course is also considered to be among the top facilities. In it'

Garden City, KS Golf Courses

Finnup Center for Conservation Education

The Finnup Center for Conservation Education is a state-of-the-art facility which helps the zoo fulfill its primary mission of education. The beautifully crafted center is named for its benefactor, the Finnup family, long time supporters of the zoo and Finnup Park. Completed in the spring of 199

Garden City, KS Education Centers

Finney County Courthouse

The first courthouse in Finney County was built in October, 1885, at this location. The county soon outgrew the small building and in 1902 was moved to a larger building at 113 South Main Street until the present courthouse was built in 1929. C.J. "Buffalo"

Garden City, KS Historic Courthouses

Windsor Hotel

This four story hotel was sometimes referred to as the "Waldorf of the Prairies". In 1887, John A. Stevens built the hotel next to the Opera House (the Opera House no longer exists). it was built of native stone and brick kilned locally. It contained 125 rooms, no closets and few bathrooms.

Garden City, KS Historic Hotels

Things to do near Garden City, KS

Santa Fe Trail Driving Tour

Below is a self-guided driving tour of seven sites along highways 154 and 50 which parallels the original Santa Fe Trail....

C & D's World on Wheels

Go-Karts, Bumper Cars, Mini golf, Roller Skating, Arcade Games, Food Court. Book the banquet room for your party!...