LASR.net Homepage




Menu

George Turner House


category : Historic Homes
George Turner House

The George and Nancy Turner House, built in 1867, is a two-story brick Italianate-style residence. The structure is the oldest residence yet standing in Dodge County and the oldest known example of Italianate Revival style in Nebraska. The house was built only one year after Turner granted land to the Union Pacific Rail Road which reached Fremont in January, 1866. The main portion of the house, including a small one-story kitchen wing, was completed in 1868. A second one-story rear addition was added in 1874, and a Queen Anne-style entrance was added to the main facade c.1889-91.

Restored for office use by John Ronan, Sr.




Address: 78 South "C" Street

Come visit us in Fremont, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Depots

Visit the historic depots in the downtown district of Fremont in the vicinity of 1st and "D" Streets. There is the two-story brick Chicago & Northwestern Freight House built in 1903 after C&NW gained control of the Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railroad which began in 1869 (now the Fremont &

Fremont, NE Railroad History

Historic Visitors Center

The former Fremont Post Office building celebrated its opening August, 2000, as the new home to the Fremont Area Chamber of Commerce and several other non-profit agencies.

Fremont, NE Historic Post Offices

Fremont Dinner Train

Experience the ambience...take a look back in time aboard 1940s heated and air-conditioned, elegantly attired cars. The train operates from Fremont to historic Hooper, a 30 mile round trip up the beautiful Elkhorn River Valley. Stop at downtown Hooper's Main Street, built in the 1890

Fremont, NE Excursions

J. D. McDonald House

The J. D. McDonald House, built in 1888, is an excellent example of the Queen Anne style. While employing the varied building materials and roof lines typical of Queen Anne architecture, this structure has a distinctive rounded

Fremont, NE National Register

Dodge County Courthouse

Dodge County was established in 1856. Fontenelle was named temporary county seat, but Fremont won the county seat designation in 1860. J.J. Hawthorn donated land for courthouse purposes in 1866. In 1867 the county built the first courthouse, a two-story brick structure. In December 188

Fremont, NE Historic Courthouses

Things to do Historic Homes near Fremont, NE