LASR.net Homepage




Menu


George Winslow Monument


category : Monuments
George Winslow Monument

This monument is situated on a grassy knoll of a field. On April 26, 1849, 25 members of the Boston-Newton Joint Stock Association left Boston, Mass., to travel overland to the gold fields of California. On May 29, at Soldier Creek, near present-day Topeka, Kan., one of the founders of the association, 25-year-old George Winslow, a machinist from Newton Upper Falls, was suddenly taken violently ill with cholera. The company remained in camp for three days, and Winslow appeared to be recovering. Late in the afternoon of June 6, the company reached the point where the Oregon-California Trail crosses the present Nebraska-Kansas state line. There, David J. Staples, Winslow's brother-in-law, described a "terrific thunder shower, lightning flashes sometimes dazzling to the eyes. Rain falling in torrents." Goerge Winslow's death probably resulted from exposure to the storm. At 9 a.m. on June 8, "painlessly as though going to sleep, he died." A headstone inscribed "Geo. Winslow, Newton, Mass." was set at the head of the grave. On a footstone was the year, "1849". The headstone is now incorporated in a granite monument, erected Oct. 29, 1912, through the efforts of George W. Hanson of Fairbury, the state of Nebraska, and the sons of George Winslow. There is at least one other emigrant grave on this rise of ground between the forks of Whiskey Run Creek. On May 23, 1850, Elias Gaggy wrote: Travel five miles the road making several sprangles which now come together --- where there are two graves --- Geo. Winslow --- Newton Mo. (Mass.) age 25 --- 1849 & R. Depew --- St. Louis, Mo. died June 25th, 1849, age 62."



Address: Located four miles north and 1 1/2 miles west of Fairbury.

Come visit us in Fairbury, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events


Four Corner Survey Marker

The Kansas-Nebraska Act of May 30, 1854, created the territories of Nebraska and Kansas, which had to be surveyed before settlement of the prairies could proceed. On May 8, 1855, Charles A. Manners set a cast-iron monument on the bluff west of the Missouri river at 40-degrees north latitude. In 1855

Fairbury, NE Historical Markers

Carnegie Library

In 1907, the Fairbury community received a grant of $12,500 from Andrew Carnegie. Ground was broken on October 5, 1908, and the library opened to the public December 10, 1909

Fairbury, NE Carnegie Libraries


Campbell Bros. Circus Mural

The Campbell Bros. Circus and other highlights of historic Fairbury are captured on this mural on the side of Globe Rexall Drugstore in downtown Fairbury.

The picture was created by Echo & Jeff Easton & Greg Holdren. The scene is 140 feet long & 38

Fairbury, NE Arts

Things to do Monuments near Fairbury, NE

Lewis & Clark Monument

The Lewis and Clark Monument was dedicated on December 19, 1939, with the inscription reading "Lewis and Clark - 1804."

Jefferson County Historical Markers

Jansen: The Jansen marker is located on the Southwest edge of Jansen on U.S. Hi...