LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Historic Frank House


category : Historic Homes
Historic Frank House The Frank House, built by George Washington Frank, was constructed in 1889. The three-story house listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is made of red Colorado sandstone, with English golden oak interior paneling and lumber, and hand carved woodwork and has seven fireplaces (10 originally). The mansion was wired for electricity during construction, ten years after Edison invented the light bulb. The landing on the staircase features a 5\' x 9\' Tiffany window.

Other modern conveniences in the house included two bathrooms, steam heating, built-in closets, and servants quarters. George William Frank, Jr. designed the house for his parents based on the H.H. Richardson Romanesque Shingle style.

George Washington Frank was born in New York state in 1830. Prior to his arrival to Kearney in 1885, he had been a partner in a bank in Corning, Iowa. After his arrival in Kearney, Mr. Frank began a major role in the development of the city. As president of the Frank Improvement Company, his projects included completion of the Kearney Canal, an electric power plant, and an electric railway system. The house was constructed to entertain Eastern capitalists for these industrial interests.

Although the house now exhibits furnishings of the Victorian period, it is more than a historic museum. The house is the scene for many University functions such as dinners, luncheons, teas, and receptions. Regular public tours were instigated in 1976.

Major projects completed since 1974 include repair of the Tiffany window, building five stone chimneys, a new tile roof, and forced-air heating system. Other projects include opening of the porte cochere and veranda, electrical rewiring, and plumbing. The original kitchen is restored.

Located at 2010 University Drive, north of Highway thirty at the west end of the campus, University of Nebraska at Kearney.


Admission: Free, but donations welcomed.
Hours: \"Walk-in\" Welcome Hours: Monday-Friday 2-5 and Saturday 12-5. Closed during university breaks and holidays.
Address: 2010 University Drive
Phone: 308-865-8284
Our Email: frankhouse@unk.edu
To arrange group tours, receptions, and other special events contact KrisAnn Sullivan, Director.

Come visit us in Kearney, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events


Cabela's

Cabela's oldest existing retail showroom, the 17,000-square-foot Kearney, Nebraska store, is filled with all the quality outdoor gear you expect from the World'

Kearney, NE Sporting Venues

Kearney United States Post Office

Completed in 1911, the Post Office Building is a fine example of the Neo-Classical Revival style. It was designed by James Knox Taylor. Taylor's education and early practice was in St. Paul, Minnesota. In 1897 he became the supervising architect of the U.S. Treasury.

Kearney, NE Historic Buildings

Museum of Nebraska Art

The Museum of Nebraska Art houses the state's only collection of paintings, sculptures, drawings, and prints created solely by Nebraskans or artists concerned with Nebraska as the subject. Enjoy quality invitational and traveling exhibits as well as creative exhibits of the museum'

Kearney, NE Museums

Dr. A. O. Thomas House

The Thomas House was designed by Nebraska architect George A. Berlinghof in 1906 in the Neo-Classical Revival style. Dr. A. O. Thomas, a native of Illinois, was the first president of the Kearney State Normal School, now the University of Nebraska at Kearney.

Kearney, NE Historic Buildings

Things to do Historic Homes near Kearney, NE