LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Historic Opera House


category : Opera Houses
Historic Opera House The Junction City Opera House and City Offices/Fire Station opened in January, 1882, in a stately red brick structure featuring a tall pointed tower with a four-faced clock. In January 1898, almost 16 years after the day it opened its doors, the Opera House was ravaged by a disastrous fire. The south portion (opera house) was rebuilt the same year using native limestone from quarries near Fort Riley. The front (city building) portion was restructured with a similar facade but a slightly different tower.

The opera house included a balcony, dress circle and parquet with frescoed and painted walls and six private boxes decorated with draperies, carpets and cane chairs. In 1915, silent movies joined theater presentations in the opera house, and in 1919, the opera house was converted solely to movie presentations under private management as the City Theater.

In 1937, the city offices moved to the new municipal building and this building was gutted and remodeled into a "modern movie theater," later painted white and called the Colonial Theater. This theater closed in 1982.

The Junction City Opera House Foundation is currently restoring the building to serve as a community and performing arts center.


Address: 7th and Jefferson
Phone: 785-238-2885

Come visit us in Junction City, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Geary County State Fishing Lake

As an alternative to the two big reservoirs at Milford Lake and Tuttle Creek Lake in this area, Geary County State Lake is a smaller body of water with 99 acres of secluded fishing, free camping, hunting, and hiking. The lake is primarily intended to be used for fishing and no swimming is allowed.

Junction City, KS Recreation

Milford Nature Center

The Milford Nature Center is designed to give visitors a better understanding of and appreciation for the natural communities in Kansas. A trip to the Nature Center will reveal that Kansas has a rich abundance and variety of wildlife. Adjacent to the Nature Center is the state'

Junction City, KS Nature Centers

Historic Opera House

The Junction City Opera House and City Offices/Fire Station opened in January, 1882, in a stately red brick structure featuring a tall pointed tower with a four-faced clock. In January 1898, almost 16

Junction City, KS Opera Houses

Geary County Courthouse

This Roman Revival building was commissioned May 20, 1899, and was completed in May, 1900 at a cost of $35,000

Junction City, KS Historic Courthouses


Things to do Opera Houses near Junction City, KS