LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Hugoton, Kansas

Hugoton, Kansas

Hugoton was originally named Hugo as suggested by E.G. Collyer upon entering Stevens County. The town was promoted and platted by a banking firm from McPherson, but there was no preference for a name. Newspapers had just accounted the death of Victor Hugo, so Collyer suggested honoring him with the name of their city so it was adopted and platted. It was later changed to Hugoton to distinguish it from the town in Colorado.

The Hay Meadow Massacre was the culmination of the "Bloody Stevens" battle over the county seat being located at Hugoton or the once prospering Woodsdale, now a memory only. So shocked was the state, that even William Allen White of the Emporia Gazette came to do a story.

When the railroad reached Hugoton in 1913 it was a day of celebration, but the discovery of natural gas in 1926 put Hugoton on the world map. In 1927, Hugoton put the cap on the world's largest gas field. The Hugoton Pool is over 1500 miles long, north and south, and 50 miles wide, east and west.


Stevens County has 5,417 acres of walk-in hunting.

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Early Methodist Church

The Early Methodist Church was built in 1905-1906 and was the second church built in Hugoton. Currently the church is being used by St. Timothy's Episcopal Church congregation each Sunday. Located in the Museum Complex.

Hugoton, KS Historic Churches

Hugoton Municipal Golf Course

This nine-hole municipal course consists of lush bluegrass fairways, grass greens and a few sand traps. A driving range is situated just east of the first hole. The course is open from daylight to dark, 365 days a year, weather permitting. A new clubhouse was erected in 1999

Hugoton, KS Golf Courses

Municipal Swimming Pool

Cool off on those hot summer days at the Hugoton Municipal Swimming Pool. Zip down the water slides, splash in from the diving boards, or relax on the side of the pool. A great way to escape the heat of the summer.

Hugoton, KS Recreation

Stevens County Gas & Historical Museum

The Stevens County Gas & Historical Museum was dedicated on May 16, 1961. It was established as a memento of the Hugoton Gas Field and the progressive development of Stevens County. Currently, the gas well, drilled in 1945,is still producing. The 1945

Hugoton, KS Museums

Santa Fe Depot

The Hugoton Santa Fe Depot was first known in 1913, when the railroad came to Stevens county. It was removed from its location in 1982 and taken to the museum complex, having a service record of over 70

Hugoton, KS Railroad History

Things to do near Hugoton, KS

Santa Fe Trail Driving Tour

Below is a self-guided driving tour of seven sites along highways 154 and 50 which parallels the original Santa Fe Trail....