The German influence in Ellinwood is spotted on the IOOF Building, originally the Roetzel building and now the Brown building. The foundation of the building was laid in June of 1886. Henry Roetzel moved into the building in 1887 with a tin and hardware business. He made the milk cans for the Hoisington Creamery. He then added a grocery line.
German iron casters centered in St. Louis were proud craftsmen of the 1880's and 90's. The castors turned to making molds.
Casting then moved into Ft. Scott, Atchison, Topeka and McPherson. On this building the work is signed by Capital Iron Works of Topeka. The design is St. Louis Greek revival with Italian consoles along the lower front containing raised Doric columns. Signatures here have disappeared but identical consoles across the street carry the foundary imprint. Decorative turns featured on the upper story are of cast and molded metal, painted white to look like marble. With the Greek style, the St. Louis French influence is found in small fleurs-de-lis as well as the Mansardic turn on the corners.
Odd Fellows had their first meeting in the upstairs in 1905 when it was the Bosse and Brodie store.
Address: 1st and Main
Come visit us in Ellinwood, Kansas