Yorkville, Illinois

Lyon Farm


category : Museums
Lyon Farm The Lyon Farm is the pride and joy of the Kendall County Historical Society. In 1974, Mrs. Frances Lyon donated 39 acres of her farm to serve as a home for the society and its artifacts. A large bequest by Mrs. Mae Dunbar along with the support and contributions of the many members and friends of the society have made it possible to restore many of the old farm buildings to their original outward appearance, and to establish display areas within.

There are several buildings of historical interest that have been moved to the farm, and are displayed on turn of the century Dunbar Lane. The Oswego House, a two story frame house, the onerous Union School from Na-Au-Say Township, Corrigan Brother's General Store and Post Office from Plattville, the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Depot from Plano, the old Yorkville City Hall, and many more interesting buildings and artifacts may be found there.

A trip to the Lyon Farm is fun for the whole family. Each year the Kendall County Historical Society holds special events at the Lyon Farm which draw visitors from all over. The farm is only open to the public during these special events, but if you are interested in using the farm on other dates please contact us for more information.

There is an extensive research library containing portrait, biographical, and genealogical materials, census and head of household records, cemetery records, veterans of all wars, and surname, obituary, and church files, and indexed scrapbooks.

The Lyon Farm is located east of Yorkville, Illinois on Illinois Route 71 between Yorkville and Oswego, and highway signs direct visitors to the site.


Hours: Open only during special events, or by appointment.
Address: East Route 71
Phone: 630-553-6777
Our Email: contact@kchs.us
Our Website:www.kchs.us/page2.htm

Come visit us in Yorkville, Illinois


More Museums near Yorkville, Illinois

Heritage Canyon

Heritage Canyon is a 12-acre quarry that houses a restored and furnished mid-1800's settlement with paths through wooded hill...

Lewis Latzer Homestead

The founder of the Pet Milk Company built this house that was one of the first with electricity and running water inside. It ...

Stephen Mack Home & Whitman Trading Post

The Mack home and Whitman Trading Post were built in 1834 by fur trader Stephen Mack, one of the area's first settlers. It is...

Little Brick House

Listed on the National Register, the Little Brick House has six restored rooms with china, furniture, engravings, and ...

Morton Grove Historical Museum

Located in Harrer Park, the Morton Grove Historical Museum is housed in the 1888 Victorian, Haupt-Yehl farmhouse and furnishe...

Travel
Lodging
Attractions
Events
Recreation
Advertise