LASR.net Homepage




Menu


International Forest of Friendship


category : Memorials
International Forest of Friendship A life-size bronze statue of Amelia Earhart gazes over the International Forest of Friendship, which is a living growing memorial to the men and women who have contributed to aviation and aerospace endeavors. The forest was established during the bicentennial by the City of Atchison and The Ninety-Nines Inc., an international organization of women pilots.

Each June, new honorees are inducted into the forest with plaques embedded in the walkway that winds through the trees representing all 50 states and over 35 countries in which forest honorees reside. The forest has several special trees, including the "Moon Tree," which was grown from a seed taken to the moon aboard Apollo 14. It is encircled by the Astronaut's Memorial, which honors ten astronauts who lost their lives in space exploration.


Address: Warnock Lake, West Highway 59 at Rawlins Road, south 2 miles
Phone: 913-367-1419
Our Email: forestoffriendship@gmail.com
Our Website:www.ifof.org/

Come visit us in Atchison, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Atchison County Courthouse

One of 13 Kansas courthouses designed by George P. Washburn, this ashlar limestone building was completed in 1897, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The clock tower was raised an extra 12 feet from the original design so that it could be seen downtown.

Atchison, KS Historic Courthouses

Amelia Earhart

Despite a few privileged years living with her grandparents in Atchison, Kansas, Amelia Earhart's childhood years were fairly transitional. Her father's job took him to Des Moines, where the family joined him a few years later. In 1913

Atchison, KS Famous People

Evah C. Cray Historical Home Museum

This 25-room mansion, listed in the National Register of Historic Places , is a glorious example of the opulence of the Victorian era. Built in 1882

Atchison, KS Museums

Trinity Episcopal Church

This charming limestone building was completed in 1868 according to plans of Richard Upjohn, who also designed Trinity Church on New York's Wall Street. The interior has beams and pews of native black walnut and lovely stained-glass windows. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Atchison, KS Historic Churches

Visitor Information Center

The restored Santa Fe Depot, long a community landmark, serves as a Visitor Information Center and houses the Chamber of Commerce offices.

The center provides visitors with brochures, maps, and a helpful staff who can answer questions about sightseeing in the Atchison area.

Atchison, KS Visitors Centers

Things to do Memorials near Atchison, KS

C.H. Schneider Memorial Park

At the south end of Horton on Highway 159 and 4th street, on the west side of the road, is an unusual small park. This park w...