Jansen: The Jansen marker is located on the Southwest edge of Jansen on U.S. Highway 136 and outlines Jansen's history. Today the Jansen community continues to preserve the spirit of its dedicated pioneers.
Whiskey Run: Whiskey Run, also known as Dripping Springs, is located 3 1/2 miles north of Fairbury on Highway 15. It is the burial place of approximately 50 Mormons who died of cholera in the spring of 1850. Many early travelers of the Oregon Trail scratched their names in the sandstone at and near the springs.
Jefferson County Courthouse: The Jefferson County Courthouse has three historical markers on its grounds. The first, a replica of the well at Rock Creek Station, is built with rocks from the original well and is located on the west side of the courthouse. The second marker is located on the southeast corner of the courthouse and commemorates Jefferson County's veterans. The last marker, located on the northeast lawn, is the third of four Oregon Trail Pony Express markers in the county.
District Ten School Museum: The District Ten School Museum is located two miles south and two miles east of Alexandria. It is home to an Oregon Trail marker, a Pony Express marker, and a Mormon monument. This monument lists the Mormons that died between Atchison, Kansas, and Fort Kearney Nebraska, on their journey to Salt Lake City.
Oregon Trial Monuments: These monuments mark the path of the Oregon Trail through Jefferson County. They are located at every mile where the trail crosses a road.
Tri-County Oregon Trail Monument: This marker is located five miles east and two miles south of Steele City. It gives the legend of the Oregon Trail through Washington County, Kansas and Gage and Jefferson County, Nebraska.
Belleville-Beatrice Trail: This marker is located next to the historic blacksmith shop in Steele City. It marks a stop on the trail that went from Beatrice to Belleville, Kansas.
Woral C. Smith Lime Kiln and House: In 1874, Woral C. Smith constructed the lime kiln. Much of the limestone from Smith's quarries was used locally. After the St. Joseph and Denver City Railroad built a siding to the kiln, limestone products were shipped throughout the region.
Plymouth: Plymouth began as a farming community in 1871, located three miles south and 1 1/2 miles west of the present town of Plymouth. In 1894, the old Plymouth village was moved to its current location.
George Winslow Monument: Located four miles north and 1 1/2 miles west of Fairbury, this monument marks where George Winslow, a traveler on his way to California for gold, died on June 25, 1849.
Land Survey Marker: This monument marks the initial point of the public land surveys of the Sixth Principal Meridian and is located at the junction of Kansas and Nebraska on the west Jefferson County line.
Mark's Mill: This monument is located on Highway 8, two miles west of Reynolds and almost directly north of the Initial Point marker.
Rock Creek Station: This park is home to the monument commemorating the trek through Jefferson County by explorer John C. Fremont and his scout, Kit Carson, in June, 1842.
Helvey: This monument marks the town of Helvey, which lasted from 1892 to 1941. It is located three miles south, two miles east and one-fourth miles west of Fairbury.
Diller: Diller lies in the Blue River Valley, near the route of the old Oregon and California trails. Settlers in covered wagons, the Pony Express, and the stage lines also followed the route.
District 39 Schoolhouse: This schoolhouse, built in 1904 and remodeled into a private home, was located two miles east of Fairbury on the PWF Road and one mile north. The schoolhouse was destroyed by fire December 23, 1996. An Oregon Trail marker is stationed in the front yard.
McDowell Mausoleum: As a child, Nelson L. McDowell amused himself in his spare time by carving a mausoleum in a sandstone hill on the brink of Rose Creek. Inside the mausoleum is an anteroom and six-foot shelves, jokingly designed as a final resting place for himself and neighbor Cliff Hunter. After his death, the land was left to the State to be used for a public park.
Come visit us in Fairbury, Nebraska