LASR.net Homepage



Menu

Belva's Real Estate Florence Visitors Center

Jesus Martinez House


category : Historic Homes
Jesus Martinez House In 1888, Florence staged her most famous gunfight between ex-sheriff, Pete Gabriel and his former deputy, Joe Phy. The shooting started in the Tunnel Saloon and ended in the middle of Main Street. Gabriel survived; Phy died a few hours later. Also surviving the showdown was a 6 x 4 foot mirror framed in white pine, pierced by a stray bullet. The mirror made its way from the Tunnel Saloon to Dick's Pool Hall and finally to this home listed on the National Register of Historic Places,where you will see it today.

Jesus Martinez, a local farmer from New Mexico, built a portion of this house in the mid 1870s. In 1880, he sold a half interest in the parcel to Clemente Romo, an adobe mason, for $300. An 1882 survey indicated the building was completed to its present size and shape. One year later, Romo owned the entire property.

Prior to 1915, the building was divided into three units and contained a store, residence, and a meat market. After 1915, it was converted into a single residence. The current owner has carefully restored the property.


Address: 321 Bailey Street

Come visit us in Florence, Arizona

Attractions and Upcoming Events

McFarland State Park

This adobe structure is the first Pinal County Courthouse built in 1877. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Florence, AZ Historic Courthouses

Florence Woman's Club

The Florence Woman's Club grew from the original Florence Village Improvement Club, organized in 1897 to improve and beautify the town of Florence. Members paid 25 cents a year to Mrs. T.F Weedin to keep the club's rake under her porch.

Florence, AZ Historic Buildings

Nicholas Saloon

The earliest fired-brick building still standing in Florence and the town's second oldest brick structure, the second Nicholas Saloon and Beer Hall was built in 1889 for John Nicholas. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Florence, AZ Historic Buildings

Clarke House

Indian raids on white settlers were common in the 1880s. When William Clarke, a mining engineer, and his wife Ella came to Florence, he devised built-in security in constructing his residence about 1884

Florence, AZ Historic Homes

Historic Coke Ovens in Box Canyon

The Historic Coke Ovens, otherwise known as charcoal kilns, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, were built in 1882 along the Gila River by the Pinal Consolidated Mining Company, and are so inaccessible that their preservation is easily understood.

Florence, AZ Historic Sites

Things to do Historic Homes near Florence, AZ