LASR.net Homepage




Menu


John Steuart Curry Boyhood Home Museum and Memoria


category : Famous Homes
John Steuart Curry Boyhood Home Museum and Memoria The Curry home was built in 1900. John Steuart Curry was then three years old. He lived in the home until he was eighteen. In 1987, the home was offered to the Jefferson County Historical Society. in lieu of being destroyed. The Society purchased a strip of land adjoining Old Jefferson Town, and the house was moved there in 1990. The house has been under renovation for several years and was officially opened May 3, 1997.


During the 1970's, Nelle Curry Manville collected memorabilia of John Steuart Curry, and in 1977, the John Steuart Curry Memorial Gallery was dedicated displaying this collection. Susan Krebs, president of the Art Guild, published "The Plainsman" and copied the many newspaper items, magazine articles and letters which had been gathered, preserving them in large notebooks. Family members, sisters and brothers, have donated many pictures and objects. Kathleen Curry, his wife, has donated personal items and a bust. The entire collection has been moved into the new Curry home museum.


One room is entirely devoted to the family. Another room contains major paintings, lithographs and letter art. One room has examples of his commercial art. There are displays of his personal objects and photographs of murals. The final room can be used to research news clippings, articles and books about Curry. There are also some special works hung there.


The restoration effort is a tribute to those who have donated money, possessions, time, talent and expertise. Many people and organizations have contributed to allow this project to be completed, although there is still money needed for further work. We give thanks to all volunteers as well as merchants and clubs that have helped. They have done everything needed to get the John Steuart Curry Boyhood Home Museum and Living Memorial opened.


Admission: free will donation
Hours: Hours: All buildings are open from May through September - Saturdays: 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. Sundays: 1:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Address: Old Jefferson Town, Oskaloosa, KS
Phone: 7857666342
Our Email: maggie2929@hotmail.com

Come visit us in Oskaloosa, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Tibbot Schoolhouse

Originally a country schoolhouse located southeast of Oskaloosa, the Tibbot school was moved to Oskaloosa in the 1950's and became part of the grade school, along with the Lone Tree, Kilgour and Plum Grove country schools. The building was moved to Old Jefferson Town in 1975.

Oskaloosa, KS Pioneer Life

John Steuart Curry Boyhood Home Museum and Memoria

The Curry home was built in 1900. John Steuart Curry was then three years old. He lived in the home until he was eighteen. In 1987

Oskaloosa, KS Famous Homes

Bowstring Bridge

Built in Cleveland, Ohio, the bowstring bridge was originally located across Rock Creek, north of Meridan, in 1875.

The 48-ft long, 14-ft wide bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 1990

Oskaloosa, KS National Register


Edmonds Chapel

Edmonds Chapel stood 4 1/2 miles north of McLouth, Kansas, for more than 75 years. Edmonds Church was an affiliate of the United Brethren in Christ (UB), though people from many denominations worshipped there down through the years.

Oskaloosa, KS Historic Churches

Things to do Famous Homes near Oskaloosa, KS

Curtis House

View this beautifully historic residence that was home to Charles Curtis. Charles Curtis served as vice president under Herbe...