LASR.net Homepage




Menu

U. S. Cavalry Museum


category : Museums
U. S. Cavalry Museum The U.S. Cavalry Museum building was constructed in 1854 and used for nearly thirty years as the Post Hospital. In 1889, as Fort Riley's mission changed from a frontier to a school post, this building was remodeled and became post headquarters. At that time, a new front entrance and bell tower were added. Notice the change in architectural style from the smooth "pasture" cut limestone indicative of the fort's initial construction in the 1850s to the rough, "quarry faced" stone cut indicative of construction between 1885 and 1912. This building continued as headquarters until 1948. In 1957 it became the home of the Fort Riley Museum which became the U.S. Cavalry Museum five years later.

The museum's nearly 10,000 square feet of exhibit space displays the colorful history of the American mounted horse soldier from the Revolutionary War till Operation Desert Storm. Included in the Museum's collection are uniforms, weapons equipment and other memorabilia.

Old Glory Antiques & Crafts Gift Shop
Store in Museum. (785) 239-2743.


Admission: Free or Donations
Hours: Monday - Saturday 9am - 4:30pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:30pm
Closed during major holidays.
Address: Bldg. #205, on Henry Street, situated between Custer and Sheridan Avenue on Main Post.
Phone: 785-239-2737
Our Website:www.riley.army.mil

Come visit us in Fort Riley, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Wainwright Hall - Fort Riley

Wainwright Hall is named for General Jonathan Wainwright who served as the assistant commandant of the Cavalry School during the 1930s. The building was constructed in 1889

Fort Riley, KS Museums

Statue of "Old Trooper Bill"

The Old Trooper has become a symbol at Fort Riley of the proud heritage of the Horse Cavalry. It is modeled after the drawing of "Old Bill," the cavalry soldier drawn by famous western artist, Frederic Remington. This sketch is displayed in the Cavalry Museum'

Fort Riley, KS Memorials

U. S. Cavalry Museum

The U.S. Cavalry Museum building was constructed in 1854 and used for nearly thirty years as the Post Hospital. In 1889, as Fort Riley'

Fort Riley, KS Museums

St. Mary's Chapel

As the first stone church in Kansas, the original building was constructed by the Episcopalians in the mid 1850'

Fort Riley, KS Historic Churches

Wounded Knee Monument

This monument is dedicated to the men of the 7th cavalry who were killed during the Pine Ridge Campaign of 1890 and the battle that is known as Wounded Knee. This controversial engagement marked one of the last armed conflicts between the army and Native Americans.

Fort Riley, KS Monuments

Things to do Museums near Fort Riley, KS