The El Dorado Missouri-Pacific Depot began as a wooden structure in 1883 in a town of less than 2,000 people. It served as a center of activity and development for the community with news being brought in by train and other news transferred by the telegraph located at the depot.
Both freight and passengers passed through the station. With the discovery of oil in 1915, population soared and the need for a new and larger depot became more urgent. On January 29, 1918, workmen moved the old wooden depot about 150 feet to the east to allow for excavation of the new brick structure.
The Depot was also center in many memories of local men and women who went off to two World Wars. For many soldiers, the Depot was the last view of El Dorado as they boarded the train bound for army camps and later Europe. For those fortunate enough to return, the Depot was also the first look at home, where large crowds of loved ones and friends anxiously awaited.
With the cessation of use in the 50s, the depot fell into disrepair and there was talk of tearing it down. In January of 1992, the Friends of the Depot group was formed to restore and renovate the old building then owned by the Union Pacific Railroad. The building renovation was dedicated in 1996 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Come visit us in El Dorado, Kansas