LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Monument to General Stand Watie


category : Monuments
Monument to General Stand Watie

- In Honor of -

General Stand Watie

General Stand Watie - only full blood Indian Brigadier General in the Confederate Army. This brave Cherokee with his heroic regiment rendered inestimable services to the Confederate Cause of Indian Territory.

Born in Georgia, December 12, 1806, died in Cherokee Nation, September 9, 1871

- A tribute to his memory by the Oklahoma Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy.

"Lest We Forget"


Address: Cherokee Square surrounding the Capitol Building.

Come visit us in Tahlequah, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

The First Telephone

Here in September, 1885, the first telephone in Oklahoma was connected for service. It was the first telephone in the Mississippi Valley west of St. Louis. The company was organized by a group of Cherokees, namely, D.W. Lipe, L.B. Bell, R.M. Wolfe, J.S. Stapler, J.B. Stapler, and E.D. Hicks.

Tahlequah, OK Markers

Monument to General Stand Watie

- In Honor of -

General Stand Watie

Tahlequah, OK Monuments

Seminary Hall at Northeastern State University

This four-year regional university has a long and colorful heritage which began in 1846 when the Cherokee National Council authorized establishment of the National Male Seminary and National Female Seminary.

Tahlequah, OK Historic Buildings

Murrell Home

The Murrell Home was built in the new Cherokee Nation about 1845 by George M. Murrell. Murrell was a native Virginain who married Minerva Ross in 1834. Minerva was a member of a wealthy mixed-blood Cherokee/Scottish family, and the niece of Chief John Ross.

Tahlequah, OK Museums

Adams Corner Rural Village

Adams Corner Rural Village is a detailed reconstruction of a small crossroads community of 1875 - 1890, in the final years of the old Cherokee Nation. The Heritage Farm exhibits livestock commonly found on Cherokee farms along with endangered domestic breeds.

Tahlequah, OK Museums

Things to do Monuments near Tahlequah, OK