Admission: Free Admission
Hours: Tuesday through Saturday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, except Nov. 23, Dec. 25 - 26 and Jan. 1 - 2
Address: 437 Quanah Road
1. POST HEADQUARTERS - Erected in 1870, this building served as the Post headquarters until 1911 when the New Post was built further west. This building is not an exhibit area but does house the museum's administrative offices. General inquiries about the museum may be made here.
2. VISITOR'S CENTER - Originally designed to function as a warehouse, this building was primarily used as an Infantry Barracks. It later served as a school for children and an Artillery classroom. Today, it houses exhibits gallery and theater relating to the interpretation of Fort Sill history.
3. FIELD ARTILLERY SCHOOL OF FIRE - The first headquaters of the U.S. Army Field Artillery School was born in this little frame house in 1911. The building has been restored to its original appearance and contains exhibits on the beginnings of Field Artillery training at Fort Sill.
4. POST CHAPEL - Built in 1875, the Post Chapel became a focus of religious and recreational activities for the frontier soldiers. The vestry on the north side was added in 1930.
Services have been conducted here continuously since its founding.
5. CAVALRY BARRACKS - These three barracks, consisting of squad rooms, kitchens and mess rooms, housed many famous cavalry regiments from 1870 to 1905. Today, many of the museum's artifact collections are maintained here and are accessible by special arrangements only.
6. INFANTRY BARRACKS - The Larter Art Gallery is located in the west end of the recently restored Infantry Barracks (open Wednesday - Sunday). The museum's extensive archival collections are maintained in the east section and are accessible by appointment only.
7. POST GUARDHOUSE - The Post Guardhouse was built in 1873 to replace the basement prison in the Cavalry Barracks just north of here. Today its main floor and basement cells are devoted to exhibits commemorating the hard riding horse soldiers, the dusty, slogging foot soldiers, and the proud Indian tribes of the South Plains. It is famous as the holding facility for the great Apache warrior, Geronimo.
8. COMMISSARY STOREHOUSE - Since its birth in 1872, this building has served many purposes for the post. Today, the history of the American Field Artillery from Colonial times through the Civil War to 1900, is enshrined in exhibits featuring muzzle loading cannons, uniforms, small arms, gunner's tools and horse equipment.
9. CANNON WALK - This outdoor exhibit area encompasses numerous examples of 20th century Field Artillery weapons from around the world. The largest piece exhibited here is "Atomic Annie," the 280mm gun that fired the world's first atomic artillery round at Frenchman's Flat, Nevada on 25 May 1953.
10. QUARTERMASTER CORRAL - The "Old Stone Corral," a stockade type structure with loopholes for defense, was built by the troopers in 1870 after a horse stealing raid y the Kiowas. It was intended to protect the Quartermaster's livestock and to serve as a refuge for the garrison in case of attack by Indians. Present day exhibits contain horse drawn vehicles, a replica of the Post Trader's Store, and blacksmithing. The Old Post Gift Shop is located in the south wing of the building.
11. SHERMAN HOUSE - The historic residence of Fort Sill's Commanding General, Phillip H. Sheridan, is located on the north side of the Old Post Quadrangle.
Come visit us in Fort Sill, Oklahoma
The Museum contains a complete collection of all production models of the fabled sports car, including one-of-a-kind models. ...