The Old Dutch Mill was moved to Wagner Park in 1938 from its original site near Reamsville, northwest of Smith Center.
The old mill was built by Charles Schwarz, a native of Germany who homesteaded in Smith County in the 1870s. Its timbers were hewn from native logs and its burrs cut from native stones. It was completed about 1882 and for years it groud corn, wheat, and buckwheat brought to it by farmers of the area. Wind power operated the mill until about 1913 when a kerosene engine was installed. After being moved it became the center attraction in a beautiful city park that was built around it.
Today it serves as a meeting place for many groups and hundreds of tourists drive downtown to see it every year.
Come visit us in Smith Center, Kansas