LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Santa Fe Depot


category : Railroad History
Santa Fe Depot The Santa Fe Depot remains as an icon to the bygone days of railroading with memories of steam locomotives, doodlebugs and cabooses. Built in 1910, it is the only depot of this style left standing on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway's former Southern Kansas Lines. The waiting area beneath the old brick archway and the numerous beveled glass windows make this depot an unforgettable landmark.

It stood in a state of disrepair after the Santa Fe had no further use of the facilities. Eventually the Chamber of Commerce set up headquarters there, and a model railroad club from Parsons constructed a complete Cherryvale area model railroad display in the baggage room of this depot. The Dick Webb family, owners of the South Kansas and Oklahoma Railroad, took possession of the depot in 1992, and with a rail excursion and preservation group, restored the depot to it's original grandeur, keeping every element to it's original status in 1910. With the purchase of three climate controlled passenger cars, Webb's Heart of the Heartlands offers excursion train rides out of Cherryvale and other area towns during special celebrations.

The railroad boom in Cherryvale began in 1879 when the Frisco Railroad reached Cherryvale, crossing the already built Santa Fe. The Memphis Railroad Company extended it's road from Parsons to Cherryvale, and the Santa Fe extended it's road westward and built a branch line south to Coffeyville. The fall of 1880 saw the M.K. & T. Narrow Gauge road extended from Parsons to Cherryvale. By 1886, Cherryvale had railroads branching in many directions, and the railroad business was thriving.
Just as it did in the 1800's, the railroad continues to have a major influence in Cherryvale. The South, Kansas and Oklahoma Railroad currently uses the north-south railroad tracks through Cherryvale with several trains carrying freight and cargo through town.


Address: 123 North Depot Street

Come visit us in Cherryvale, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Logan Memorial Veteran's Park

This memorial park has served Cherryvale since 1881 when the Leavenworth, Lawrence & Galveston Railroad offered the six-acre tract to the city. In 1895, Civil War Veterans held their first "Old Soldiers' Southern Kansas Reunion right here in Logan Park, Cherryvale, Kansas. This "Reunion Association"

Cherryvale, KS Memorials

Carnegie Library

Cherryvale's public library, built in 1913, is one of the few Carnegie Libraries still in use. Early in 1909, the Cherryvale Women's Club set a goal to establish a library with an adjoining room for rural women to rest and visit after their long horse and buggy ride to shop in town. In 1912

Cherryvale, KS Carnegie Libraries

Cherryvale Cemeteries

Cherryvale's three cemeteries and two rural cemeteries abound with local history and genealogy information. 1869 Fairview Cemetery, Northeast of town on Olive Street. P.C. Bowen set aside 10

Cherryvale, KS Cemeteries

Leatherock Hotel and Museums

The Leatherock Hotel is the only local hotel left among the 19 hotels built in Cherryvale's bygone era. This 1912 historic hotel, adjacent to the crossing tracks of AT&

Cherryvale, KS Museums

Frank Bellamy Home and Burial

As a student in Cherryvale Central High School, Frank Bellamy authored the Pledge of Allegiance and brought it into national focus as a winner in a 1892 national student contest. The pledge was first officially used in a national celebration coinciding with the opening of the World'

Cherryvale, KS Famous People

Things to do Railroad History near Cherryvale, KS