LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Signal Oak, Historical Marker


category : Historical Markers
Signal Oak, Historical Marker On this quarter acre site, overlooking three valleys -- Coal Creek, Wakarusa, and Kansas, stood with famous Signal Oak Tree. It was a stately white oak at the time of the Civil War, whose branches were used to hold signal lanterns. This Park, donated to the Santa Fe Trail Historical Society, was a gift from dedicated local historians.


Address: Simmons Hill, North First Street

Come visit us in Baldwin City, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Allen (Depot) Park

Allen Park, Main and High streets in West Baldwin (formerly Media), is privately owned and maintained by the Santa Fe Trail Historical Society. While privately owned, it is open to the public and offers a ball field, play area and shelterhouse with picnic tables, running water and grills.

Baldwin City, KS Parks

Palmyra Post Office

Located at the Old Castle Complex is the Palmyra Post Office and Blood's Grocery which opened in 1857. Originally located north of the highway on the Santa Fe Trail, it served travelers on the trail and the pioneer community of Palmyra, the original townsite later to become Baldwin City.

Baldwin City, KS Pioneer Life

Area History Mural

The mural depicting area history was painted by local artist, Tom Russell. It is displayed in the Baldwin State Bank.

Baldwin City, KS Arts

Douglas State Lake

The Douglas State Fishing Lake is located two miles northeast of Baldwin just off County Road 1055. The surface area of the lake is 200 acres with approximately 600 acres surrounding the lake.

FISHING

Baldwin City, KS Recreation

Women's Bridge

The native stone and brick bridge over Tauy Creek was erected in 1890 at the request of Baldwin's first female mayor, Lucy Sullivan. Mrs. Sullivan, one of the nation's earliest woman mayors, and her all-female council distinguished themselves with community improvements such as this bridge "

Baldwin City, KS Pioneer Life

Things to do Historical Markers near Baldwin City, KS