The Osage Mission-Neosho County Museum proudly welcomes visitors to its recently completed museum complex located across the highway from the historic St. Francis Catholic Church. Artifacts and area h... Osage Mission-Neosho County Museum
St. Francis Cemetery, located half a mile east of St. Paul, is by succession the oldest cemetery in Neosho county known to have been used by white people. When the Jesuits first came to the Osage country in 1847
Traveling through St. Paul on Highway 57, a visitor may get different hints of the proximity of the Neosho Wildlife Area. There is the Neosho River, the lowlands to the east and the west, with stilt-like houses, suggesting high waters on occasion.
In 1847, the Mother Church of the Diocese of Wichita was set up in one of the government-built log structures at the Catholic Osage Mission. The missionaries dedicated the church to the patronage of St. Francis Hieronymo, a Jesuit, who had been canonized by the Church as a saint on May 10, 1839