LASR.net Homepage




Menu

T. B. Ferguson Mansion Museum


category : Museums
T. B. Ferguson Mansion Museum The Ferguson Mansion was built in 1907 and is open for tours of its period furnishings and historic memorabilia. T.B. Ferguson, appointed Oklahoma's sixth territorial governor by President Theodore Roosevelt, is best remembered for his efforts to turn Oklahoma Territory into Oklahoma the State.

Governor Ferguson ...

T.B. Ferguson was born in 1857 near Des Moines, Iowa. Although he was trained to be a teacher and a Methodist minister, Ferguson began writing occasional articles for a local newspaper and became interested in journalism. After the 1892 land run, Ferguson brought his family to Watonga, Oklahoma where he established the Watonga Republican. He remained the publisher of this newspaper until his death in 1921.

Ferguson was appointed territorial governor in 1901 by President Theodore Roosevelt. During his administration, deficit spending was eliminated and he strongly supported increasing funds for education and prison reform. He organized the Board of Agriculture and strongly promoted Oklahoma's participation in the St. Louis World's Fair in 1903.

Ferguson pressed for legislation setting qualifications for persons teaching school in Oklahoma. He pressed for the "herd law," which required land to be fenced to prevent herds of cattle from damaging or destroying settlers' crops. Governor Ferguson was also responsible for a law allowing osteopaths to practice in Oklahoma and upgrading Okahoma's mental institutions. Perhaps his greatest contribution was his unwavering devotion to the cause of immediate statehood for Oklahoma Territory. Ferguson was governor from November, 1901, until January, 1906, longer than any other territorial governor.

After Governor Ferguson's death in 1921, Mrs. Ferguson managed the newspaper until 1930. In 1927 the famous novelist Edna Ferber stayed in the Ferguson home where she found much of the material for her novel, Cimarron.


Admission: Free Admission - donations appreciated
Hours: Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sunday, 1 - 5 p.m.
Address: 519 N. Weigle
Phone: 580-623-5069

Come visit us in Watonga, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Blaine County Courthouse

The Blaine County Courthouse was built in 1906 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Watonga, OK Historic Courthouses

Hooper Drug Store - 1906

At the corner of Main & Noble you will find Stewart Real Estate and H & R Block. It hasn't always been that way. In 1906

Watonga, OK Historic Buildings

Armory Building

The Armory Building was built in 1936 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Watonga, OK Historic Buildings

Chief Roman Nose

Roman Nose State Park near Watonga, Oklahoma, is named after the Southern Cheyenne Chief, Henry Roman Nose (often confused with the Northern Cheyenne Chief roman Nose, killed at the Battle of Arickaree in eastern Colorado, 1868). Born June 30, 1856

Watonga, OK Famous People

Noble House

The current Noble House structure was built in 1912 by Abe Bills, and replaced an old landmark wooden rooming house. The lower level of the new building housed a residence and a barber shop for Mr. Bills, his wife and daughter. The upstairs portion served as a rooming house. Abe Bills'

Watonga, OK Famous Homes

Things to do Museums near Watonga, OK