Citizens of the area, hoping to retain our history, have established the Thayer Museum in the old Thayer Bank building, listed on the Kansas Register of Historic Places. Thayer State Bank opened in 1900 and closed in 1932. Since its closing the building has been used for various purposes. The Acel Price family occupied the building after their home was destroyed by a fire. The Thayer Post Office was housed in the building. It was also used as a newspaper office. In the 1970s, Harry Rash moved his business office into the building. Upon his death, the Rash family donated the building to the City of Thayer. It is only fitting that now the museum occupies a place in downtown Thayer to preserve the history that surrounds this building.
Anyone having questions or artifacts to donate, please contact one of the board members.
Hours: Summer Hours: Saturday, 2-4pm. and by appointment
The Museum will be open during the Labor Day Homecoming Picnic and Fair, Fri, 4-6; Sat, 9-4
Address: Neosho and N. Preston Streets
Come visit us in Thayer, Kansas