LASR.net Homepage




Menu

The Mills House


category : Historic Homes
The Mills House William M. Mills, an oilman from Pennsylvania, drilled over 400 oil and gas wells in his lifetime. He drilled the Norman #1 well in Neodesha, Kansas which was the first successful commercial oil well west of the Mississippi and opened up the Mid-continent oil field. His companies supplied gas to the town of Osawatomie, Paola, and Spring Hill. In 1902, he used profits from these ventures to build the magnificent home on First Street.

The Queen Anne style house was designed by the famous architect, George Barber and cost $49,000 to build. It has over 7,000 square feet, 9 fireplaces, elaborate woodwork and ornamental ceilings. During the mid 1900s the house was converted to apartments and allowed to deteriorate, but is now being restored to its original beauty by State Senator Doug Walker and his family. The home is listed on the National Register Of Historic Places.


Address: First Street

Come visit us in Osawatomie, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Osawatomie History Museum

Exhibits include The Railroad, Oswatomie State Hospital, pre-Civil War, Rural Culture, and the Social History of Osawatomie. Special rotating exhibits present Black History Month in February, Women's History Month in March; April, Art; May, Alumni; June, John Brown; August, Founders Day;

Osawatomie, KS Museums

Asylum Bridge

The Asylum Bridge which crosses the Marais des Cygnes River at First Street, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built during a three month period--October thru December, 1905, by the Kansas City Bridge Company, Kansas City, Mo. Its bid of $4,800

Osawatomie, KS Historic Bridges

Adair Cabin State Historic Site and Museum

The territorial log cabin, which now houses the John Brown Museum, was built in 1854 as the home of Reverend Samuel L. and Florella (John Brown's half sister) Adair. The home was frequented by Brown during his several journeys to Kansas between 1855 and 1858. The Adairs shared John Brown'

Osawatomie, KS Museums

Soldier's Monument

The Soldiers Monument was dedicated August 30, 1877, and was erected to honor the five men killed in the battle of Osawatomie, August 30, 1856.

Osawatomie, KS Monuments

First Land Office

This land office building was built in 1854 and was used by the first mayor of Osawatomie, H. B. Smith, and his brother who were the first land patent agents in the territory. It was deeded to the city in 1954 by A. W. Youngberg as a memorial to his wife.

Osawatomie, KS Pioneer Life

Things to do Historic Homes near Osawatomie, KS

Silverheels Residence

This is the former residence of Shawnee Indian, John Silverheels built in 1830. Silverheels was given 800 acres in Northeast ...

Campbell Home

This was the home of David Gee Campbell, the founder of Campbelltown, the original name sited for Merriam. The original house...