LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Baden Square Tour


category : Tours
Baden Square Tour In 1893, John Peter Baden, an early Winfield merchant and entrepreneur, built St. John's College. It became the first college in the Evangelical Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod system of higher education to admit women.

St. John's was originally housed in Baden Hall, a handsome, three-story limestone structure complete with chapel and bell tower, faculty offices, dormitory rooms and classrooms. St. John's grew into a 32-acre campus and flourished nearly 100 years before its closing in 1986. The campus was purchased by the city of Winfield in 1989 and renamed Baden Square.

Plans to create a hub of community activity have led to the refurbishing of several buildings making a new home for the Winfield Public Library and a community center with programs for senior adults, recreation and the arts. As you take this walking tour, be sure to notice the variety of architectural styles which portray the decade in which each building was built.

BADEN HALL was completed in 1894 and for many years was the college-classrooms, dormitory, dining hall, chapel, and offices. It was named for John Peter Baden, founder of the school. A very dedicated Baden Hall Preservation Committee continues to meet monthly to save this beautiful historic building.

REHWINKEL HALL - This building was completed in 1916 and served as a dormitory for men. Alfred M. Rehwinkel was president from 1928 to 1936.

MEYER HALL - Completed in 1925, this building served as the main building for classrooms, chapel and administrative offices. It was named for A.W. Meyer, St. John's College president from 1895 to 1927.

MUNSINGER HALL - The north wing was completed in 1949 and the west wing in 1953. It had served as the main dormitory for women and was named for Carl Mundinger, St. John's president from 1936 to 1959.

A total of twelve buildings and their descriptions appear in this self-guided walking tour of Baden Square. This brochure can be obtained by contacting the city of Winfield, or Convention and Tourism.


Address: City of Winfield
200 E. 9th
Winfield, KS 66156
Phone: 620-221-5525

Come visit us in Winfield, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Cowley County Historical Society Museum

The Cowley County Historical Society Museum is housed in one of Winfield's original schools built in 1886. The native stone building and its historical displays keep local history alive and available to the people.

Winfield, KS Museums

Hiatt House

The Italianate Victorian home presently known as Hiatt's House Restaurant, owned by Mr. & Mrs. Richard Tredway, was built in 1879 by Col. J.C. McMullen, a local banker. Other owners were George Miller of the famed 101 Ranch from 1888 to 1902, and the J.W. Hiatt family from 1902 to 1974

Winfield, KS Historic Buildings

The Iron Gate Inn - The Baden House

This Cross-gable Victorian home was built in 1885 by J.P. Baden, an early industrialist, founder of St. John's College, and one of Winfield's most illustrious citizens. Mrs. Baden founded the Lutheran orphanage.

Winfield, KS Historic Buildings

Viet Nam War Memorial (Memorial Park)

Constructed as a replica of the Washington D.C. Viet Nam War Memorial, this memorial is found in Memorial Park just east of the Courthouse. The Memorial is engraved with the names of 777 servicemen and nurses from the State of Kansas who were killed or missing in action during the Viet Nam War.

Winfield, KS Memorials

Baden Square Tour

In 1893, John Peter Baden, an early Winfield merchant and entrepreneur, built St. John's College. It became the first college in the Evangelical Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod system of higher education to admit women. St. John'

Winfield, KS Tours

Things to do Tours near Winfield, KS

Kansas Flint HIlls Tours, LLC

At Kansas Flint Hills Tours we offer a variety of authentic rural experiences from guided tours of the northern area of the F...

Self-Guided Walking and Driving Tours

Emporia, founded in 1857, includes several sites of national and local significance. These tours provide a view of Emporia fr...