This antique carousel is a National Landmark and was built in Abilene by C.W. Parker c. 1901. The carousel is a track-operated machine consisting of 24 hand-carved horses and 4 chariots on a 50
A shelter east of the Neosho River bridge protects the stump of the Council Oak. Gathered in the shade of the big oak on a hot August day in 1825
Legend has it that while patrolling the Santa Fe Trail with his famous 7
Westmoreland's Historic Hand Dug Well was constructed in 1914, as 40
This 300-year-old bur oak (just the trunk remains) served as the unofficial post office for travelers on the Santa Fe Trail from 1825-1847
Still etched in the prairie, the 175-year-old Santa Fe Trail ruts carved their niche in our nation's history by helping move freight and settlers to the great Southwest. To see the ruts, take US-56 (
A historic marker erected by the Kansas State Historical Society that commemorates the site where, during the years between 1855 and 1857, some 20,000 Mormons camped before moving on their "
The Town Clock is the only such clock between Indianapolis and Denver on Highway U.S. 36. It was built in 1891 as part of the First National Bank building and is listed on the Kansas Register
This well is the widest and second largest hand-dug well in Kansas. It is 34 feet in width and 65 feet in depth. The well was dug by hand in 1895
Alcove Spring is a spring of fresh water flowing from the side of the alcove into the basin below the Naomi Pike 10-12
The Stone wall behind and across the street from Grant's statue is a favorite with photographers. The wall was restored in the early part of this century by the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Peabody's beautiful City Park has provided a meeting place for generations of community members. The idea of a park was perhaps established in 1876 when the tradition of having a county wide 4
Coronado Heights is a twenty-six acre virgin prairie park overlooking the Smoky Valley. The first buildings of Lindsborg were at the foot of this hill. Legend says it was also a lookout for Coronado'
This is the Center of the U.S.A. original 48 states, as determined by the government geodetic survey in 1898. It is the crossroads of the nation, proper, on US-281 highway.
St. Francis, Kansas is the birthplace and boyhood home of Apollo astronaut, Ron Evans, who was aboard the Apollo 17 in its sixth and final lunar expedition of the Apollo series in 1972.
The Lighted Cross was made possible by the effort and support of the local community.
Tracks of the original wagon trail used by pioneers from 1821 to 1872 are located nine miles west of town. This site, listed on the National Register of Historic Sites
The Point of Rocks landmark is located eight miles south of Jetmore on US 283, 6.75 miles east and 1.5 miles north. Before the settlement of the area, the 'point of rocks'
The old well is the only remnent of a once busy Santa Fe Railroad of the Great Bend Division in western Kansas. The hand-dug well has been beautifully preserved, being 110 years old. It is 24
Come and see the wheel ruts of the famous 60 mile "Jornada" Trail, a stretch of arid prairie between the Arkansas and Cimarron Rivers referred to by early Spanish explorers as the "jornada de muerte"
The spring house at Conway Springs is listed on the National Register of Historic Places
The tallest, sturdiest Mennonite in Kansas stands seventeen feet tall in the Athletic Park. He is the Mennonite Settler Statue built in 1942
A five foot high exemplary sample of petrified wood. Over 24
Donald R. Green was originally from Kentucky but learned to ride a stage coach while living in Montana. Hearing about how people were moving westward through Kansas during the late 1800
This cross was erected in 1950 by the Kansas Knights of Columbus to honor Father Juan Padilla who accompanied Coronado to Kansas in 1541. He returned in 1542
In 1863, "Buffalo" Bill Mathewson opened a trading post next to Cow Creek Crossing. His hand-dug, 34
On the east bank of the Verdigris River at Neodesha you can see a large Burr Oak tree that is about 300
40 x 60 foot flag greets residents and travelers from atop a 100 foot flagpole rising from Fredonia's South Mound. Beautiful park setting with views for miles around.
This charming bandstand was built in 1932 as a W.P.A. project. The roof was destroyed in the early 1960'
Located on the north side of the Courthouse parking lot, the clock tower houses the massive clock from the original courthouse.
Three miles south of Olathe on Lone Elm Road, on the main branch of the Santa Fe Trail, was the site of a spring (now enclosed in a small well)
In a 1924 dedication of a State Historical Marker at the edge of Gardner, Senator Rolla W. Coleman called the place where the trails divide "the grand-daddy of all highway junctions."
Ruts left by wagon trains can be found along Ash Creek, a tributary that feeds the Arkansas River. Ask at the Farmer'