LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Barth Hall and the "Beehive"


category : Historic Buildings
Barth Hall and the Barth Hall, the building on the corner of Kearney and McCellan Avenues, was the home in 1881 of the School of Application for Cavalry and Infantry, the predecessor of the Command and General Staff College.

The large building directly west of Barth Hall is known as the "Beehive." Built in 1882 as a barracks, the Beehive has undergone extensive renovation to house the National Simulations Center. The building earned its nickname in the 1920s when it housed officers with families of one or more children.


Come visit us in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

National Cemetery

Designated a National Cemetery by President Abraham Lincoln in 1862 along with eleven others, military graves date back to 1846. Today, more than 20,000 veterans representing every war since 1812 are buried in the cemetery. Two soldiers from Operation Desert Storm were interred here in 1991.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Cemeteries

Main Parade Ground

The main parade ground was originally the center of post activities. Post reviews and parades were held here during negotiations with federal officials in the 1800s.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Military History

Memorial Chapel

Built in 1878 by prison labor from stone quarried on the post and, today, is considered to be an outstanding architectural "gem" in this area.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Churches

U.S. Disciplinary Barracks

The "DB," as it is known, was established as a military prison in 1873. The buildings inside date from 1863 to 1964. The DB is the only military maximum security facility. This USDB closed in 2003 and the inmates were moved to the new USDB on the west side of the fort. The 'castle'

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

Sutler's Home

Built in 1841 as the residence of the post sutler, Hiram Rich, who supplied the troops with such "nonissued items" as tobacco, writing paper, and whiskey.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Famous Homes

Things to do Historic Buildings near Fort Leavenworth, KS

Paola Community Center

1914 renovated Ursuline Sisters Academy Boarding School. Currently hosts dinner theater, civic and municipal meetings, and ed...