LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Syracuse Houses


category : Historic Buildings
Syracuse Houses The two frame houses are known as the Syracuse Houses because they were designed in 1855 by E.V. Carr, a prominent architect from Syracuse, New York. Lt. Colonel George Custer and his wife lived in one of these houses for a few months in 1868.


Come visit us in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Old Stone Wall

The Stone wall behind and across the street from Grant's statue is a favorite with photographers. The wall was restored in the early part of this century by the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Landmarks

Syracuse Houses

The two frame houses are known as the Syracuse Houses because they were designed in 1855 by E.V. Carr, a prominent architect from Syracuse, New York. Lt. Colonel George Custer and his wife lived in one of these houses for a few months in 1868.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

Headquarters Area

Headquarters area buildings are named for Generals Sherman, Grant, and Sheridan. They were built from 1859 to 1904 and are on the site of the former soldiers burying ground.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Historic Buildings

Frontier Army Museum

The Frontier Army Museum depicts the Frontier Army (1817-1917) and history of Fort Leavenworth (1827-present). The original collection began in 1939 when the wagon shop at Fort Leavenworth closed and the horse-drawn vehicles were relocated and called the "Old Rolling Wheels Museum". In 1960

Fort Leavenworth, KS Museums

The Rookery

The Rookery at 12-14 Sumner Place is the oldest house in Kansas. It was completed in 1834 and was the first permanent post headquarters building. Lieutenant Douglas MacArthur lived here in the early 1900s. The building is a Registered National Landmark.

Fort Leavenworth, KS Famous Homes

Things to do Historic Buildings near Fort Leavenworth, KS

Paola Community Center

1914 renovated Ursuline Sisters Academy Boarding School. Currently hosts dinner theater, civic and municipal meetings, and ed...

WPA Beach House

The WPA Beach House at Gardner Lake is listed on the National Register of Historic Places....