Bluff station was southeast of Indian Mound, on the east side of a sand creek which circles north and east of the Mound and flowed into the Arkansas River. Some sources think it may have been built by Major Bennett Riley's troops in 1829.
In the 1850s and 1860s, stage companies used it as a relay station where fresh horses and some supplies could be obtained. Remains of the walls of the station were visible as late as 1900.
To the east of Bluff Station was one of the best camping grounds on the Trail. On this wide river bottom lush, green grass grew as high as a horse's back. The bottom was dotted with campfire sites and pits where campers had dug down to shallow, fresh water for drinking and cooking.
Come visit us in Lakin, Kansas