Some of Milam county's 100-plus steel bridges from the 1900 era are still in use today. Brushy Creek Bridge once spanned Bushy Creek south of Thorndale until it was moved to Cameron's Wilson-Ledbetter... The Bridges of Milam County
Housed in the restored county jail, c. 1895, the Milam County Historical Museum is complete with cells, shackles, and gallows tower. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, view exhibits of pioneer farm and ranch equipment, rustic household furnishings, and Spartan "fashions"
This congregation began as part of the early Methodist missionary effort in Texas. A camp meeting was held in Milam County in 1841, four years after the first Methodist preachers came to Texas. By 1847, the Rev. Josiah Whipple had helped to organize this church. Until 1885
Episcopal worship services were held in Cameron as early as 1860, though All Saints Episcopal Church was not organized as a mission until 1901. The Diocese of Texas purchased this property from A. J. and Jennie Dossett in 1906. This structure was completed in 1907
In 1838, Joseph P. Sneed crossed the prairies on horseback to bring his family and the Bible to a new home in Texas. He and his young wife Achsah Harris Sneed first settled in Port Sullivan. Eleven years later they packed their things and moved to the Cross Roads community, about 30