LASR.net Homepage




Menu

First United Methodist Church of Cameron


category : Historic Churches
This congregation began as part of the early Methodist missionary effort in Texas. A camp meeting was held in Milam County in 1841, four years after the first Methodist preachers came to Texas. By 1847, the Rev. Josiah Whipple had helped to organize this church. Until 1885 the Methodist congregation in Cameron was part of a preaching circuit. Early ministers included the Rev. Pleasant M. Yell and the Rev. John W. Devilbiss. By 1885, the church had grown so that it was given a full-time pastor, the Rev. J. E. Green. Four years earlier, in 1881, the congregation had constructed its first church building, during the pastorate of the Rev. J. H. Collard. Larger facilities were needed by the end of the nineteenth century, and a new brick sanctuary was completed in 1901. The current building was first used for services in 1923.

Over the years, First United Methodist Church of Cameron has provided significant service and leadership to the community. The congregation has been host to the Texas Annual Conference of Methodist Churches and has produced several ministers from its membership. Today the church continues to reflect the ideals and traditions of its founders.


Address: S. Travis and W. 2nd St.

Come visit us in Cameron, Texas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Confederate Veterans Memorial

The Confederate Veterans Memorial stands in memory of the 670 men from Milam County who served in the Confederate Army during the War Between the States, and those who supported them on the home front during the years 1860 - 1865

Cameron, TX Memorials

First United Methodist Church of Cameron

This congregation began as part of the early Methodist missionary effort in Texas. A camp meeting was held in Milam County in 1841, four years after the first Methodist preachers came to Texas. By 1847, the Rev. Josiah Whipple had helped to organize this church. Until 1885

Cameron, TX Historic Churches

City in Miniature

John Johnson has created a model of Cameron that recalls the town as it looked during the 1940s. For more than 25

Cameron, TX Museums

Magnolia House

Known as the Magnolia House and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this fully restored Victorian house was the home of prominent citizens in Cameron, Dr. Nathan and Lula Cass, for over a century. The Octagon Mode, Queen Anne style house was built in 1895

Cameron, TX Historic Homes

North Elm Cemetery

Many of the Settlers of North Elm came from Alabama beginning in 1867, including John George LaGrone (1792-1870), whose dated gravestone is the oldest in this burial ground. Land for the cemetery was initially deeded by B. J. Arnold in 1883

Cameron, TX Cemeteries

Things to do Historic Churches near Cameron, TX

St. Monica's Catholic Church

Founded in 1883, the congregation of St. Monica's Catholic Church erected this structure in 1927-28 after a fire had destroye...

All Saints Episcopal Church

Episcopal worship services were held in Cameron as early as 1860, though All Saints Episcopal Church was not organized as a m...