In 1888 U.S. Senator Algernon Paddock built a hotel and a large opera house. That structure was destroyed by fire on August
1, 1919. Two years later a hotel company was organized, resulting in the New Paddock Hotel, which was completed in 1924.
This popular 150-acre fishing and power boating lake has 286 land acres with plenty of room for picnicking, hiking, primitive camping, unsupervised swimming, fishing and hunting (in season). Facilities include drinking water and latrines.