LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Chouteau's Island


category : Pioneer History
Chouteau's Island was the largest island of timber on the Arkansas River in this area. In the spring of 1816, Auguste Pierre Chouteau was returning to Missouri with several other fur trappers when they were attacked by a large party of Pawnee Indians. Chouteau's party saw the Indians in time to cross over the shallow water to the island. From there they were able to repulse the Indian attack and make their escape.

In 1825, Joseph C. Brown, a U.S. engineer, surveyed the Santa Fe Trail. He designated Chouteau's Island as the point for turning south to join the Cimarron Cut-Off at Wagon Bed Springs, some ten miles south of the present day Ulysses.


Come visit us in Lakin, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Round Red Barn

The Kearny County Historical Society has purchased the old, 12-sided barn on the west edge of Lakin. It was restored at its present site, and then moved to a foundation at the Museum Complex in 2001. The barn was built in 1909

Lakin, KS Historic Buildings

Chouteau's Island

Chouteau's Island was the largest island of timber on the Arkansas River in this area. In the spring of 1816, Auguste Pierre Chouteau was returning to Missouri with several other fur trappers when they were attacked by a large party of Pawnee Indians. Chouteau'

Lakin, KS Pioneer History

Historic O'Loughlin House

The O'Loughlin house was called, "The Little White House", as it was the largest building in the town and was the center for social gatherings, church services, meetings and housed visiting dignitaries. The White House is the oldest two-story house in Lakin. It was built in 1875

Lakin, KS Museums

Beymer Water Recreation Park

Beymer Water Recreation Park offers a variety of activities for the outdoorsman. Swimmers may cool off at the designated swim beach, while picnickers enjoy a barbecue on the many tables and grills. A covered picnic shelter is available for large parties. Reservations may be made at the County Clerk\

Lakin, KS Recreation

Columbian School House

The Columbian Schoolhouse, built in 1893, was named after the Columbian Exposition held in Chicago. Later shortened to Columbia, the school conducted its last class approximately 1945. This one room school was moved to the museum site from 15 miles north of Lakin and restored in 1984.

Lakin, KS Historic Schoolhouses

Things to do Pioneer History near Lakin, KS

Bluff Station

Bluff station was southeast of Indian Mound, on the east side of a sand creek which circles north and east of the Mound and f...

Aubey Route

The Aubrey Route, which left the Santa Fe Trail on the Arkansas River at Chouteau's Island and Indian Mound, west of Lakin, c...

Leoti-Coronado County Seat Fight

The following are two accounts detailing the Leoti-Coronado county seat fight.