LASR.net Homepage




Menu


The Mormon Batallion


category : Pioneer History
On September 19, 1846 a 500 man Morman Battalion arrived at the Springs on their way to California to fight in the Mexican War. Thirsty and weary from a forced march 50 miles across one of the most dreary deserts that ever a man saw, where no moisture but contaminated and dirty rainwater could be found, the little army finally located sufficient water to quench its thirst under the sand of the Cimarron River. With water to drink, plenty of grass for their horses, and buffalo chips to fuel fires, man and beast refreshed themselves before continuing the long march to California.


Come visit us in Ulysses, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Grant County Museum

The Grant County Museum is housed in a handmade adobe structure built for a county shop in the 1930s as a WPA project. The museum is now on the State Register of Historic Places.

Ulysses, KS Museums

Santa Fe Trail Ruts

Come and see the wheel ruts of the famous 60 mile "Jornada" Trail, a stretch of arid prairie between the Arkansas and Cimarron Rivers referred to by early Spanish explorers as the "jornada de muerte" or journey of death

Ulysses, KS Landmarks

Bentwood Golf Course

Come to Frazier Park and play a round of golf on the nine-hole grass greens course.

Ulysses, KS Golf Courses

Old Edwards Hotel

Located in the Museum Complex, the Old Edwards Hotel was cut into three sections for moving in 1909

Ulysses, KS Historic Hotels

Swimming Pool Complex

Cool off during those hot, Kansas summer days at the Grant County Swimming Pool Complex. The Complex has an outdoor olympic-size pool with diving area, two kiddie and toddler pools, and an olympic-size, heated, indoor lap pool.

Ulysses, KS Recreation

Things to do Pioneer History near Ulysses, KS

The Mormon Batallion

On September 19, 1846 a 500 man Morman Battalion arrived at the Springs on their way to California to fight in the Mexican Wa...

Bluff Station

Bluff station was southeast of Indian Mound, on the east side of a sand creek which circles north and east of the Mound and f...