LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Cowtown History


category : Pioneer Life

"Every other business a Saloon!"

During the years 1867 to 1871, the frontier town of Ellsworth was full of vice. Gun battles were common, hangings frequent, and gambling and drinking was indulged in all hours of the night. With the coming of the cattle trade from 1871-1875, Ellsworth became the "rip roaring, toughest" cowtown in the west and the population increased to over 2,000. On both sides of the tracks, every other business was a saloon. Nauchville, the tough part of town, was located a half-mile east on the river bottom. This tent city was a conglomeration of brothels, saloons, and gambling joints. Some of the colorful Old West characters who found their way to Ellsworth include George Armstrong Custer, Buffalo Bill Cody, Wild Bill Hickock, and Ben and Billy Thompson.

"Hell is in Session"

Ellsworth stated to lure the cattle traffic in 1869 by positioning men at the Arkansas River crossing where they steered the droves toward Ellsworth. In 1871, the Ellsworth Reporter sent a circular to Texas proclaiming the importance of Ellsworth as a cowtown and asserting that Abilene was dying. It worked, making 1873 Ellsworth's best population year when 220,000 head of longhorn cattle were completed to the south, but Ellsworth had made its reputation. One newspaper of the era said, "As we go to press, hell is still in session in Ellsworth."

"Sheriff Killed"

The coming of the railroad was a much anticipated event in Ellsworth. The expectation that Ellsworth would be the major cattle market had brought numerous people to the town.

The town's first newspaper, the Ellsworth Reporter, sent a circular to Texas in February 1872 proclaiming the importance of Ellsworth as a cowtown and that Abilene was dying. As Ellsworth increased as a cattle market that year, people of all sorts moved with the trade. Gamblers, thieves, gunmen, prostitutes, as well as more respectable businessmen, came to the newest, important cowtown. Nauchville became the shady area 1/2 mile east of town with its brothels, saloons, and gambling joints. Even Drover's Cottage, a hotel from Abilene, was taken apart and rebuilt in the new cowtown.

The most notable incident of 1873 in Ellsworth was the killing of Sheriff Chauncey B. Whitney. The shooting of the sheriff occurred while he was breaking up a fight on August 15. The fracas involved Ben and Billy Thompson against John Sterling and Happy Jack Morco. The mix of alcohol and poker proved to cause trouble between the two groups. Since Sheriff Whitney had apparently stopped the problems, he and the Thompsons headed into a saloon for a drink. Then, Happy Jack rushed the street with his six shooters out. Billy, both drunk and armed with a shotgun, accidentally shot the sheriff while turning to meet Happy Jack. The Thompsons soon left the area, as did most Texans after difficulties between the cattlemen and townspeople.





Admission:
Hours:
Address:
Phone:
Our Email:
Our Website:

Come visit us in Ellsworth, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Ellsworth Municipal Golf Course

Ellsworth is fortunate to boast one of the finest nine-hole golf courses in Central Kansas. Watered fairways and greens amongst the rolling hills make for an enjoyable and professional game. Elevated greens on nearly every hole make proper club selection a priority.

Ellsworth, KS Golf Courses

1873 Jail

The old jail is the oldest building in Ellsworth. Earlier jails were temporary structures like cages. At other times, prisoners were housed in private homes. This jail was authorized on April 2 1872, with the lower floor designated as the jail and the upper floor to be used as court rooms. (

Ellsworth, KS Historic Buildings


1909 Union Pacific Wooden Caboose

A 1909 wooden caboose given to the museum by the "Union Pacific Railroad." This caboose is one of 26 known wooden "Union Pacific" cabooses still in existence in the United States and is the only one known of in Kansas. Following a complete restoration the caboose celebrated its 100

Ellsworth, KS Railroad

Fort Harker Museum Complex/ Kanopolis KS

The Fort Harker Museum is located in Kanopolis Ks. First Established as Fort Ellsworth in 1864 at the juncture of the Smokey Hill River and the Fort Riley/Fort Larned Road on the Smokey Hill Trail, the post was moved from its site by the river and renamed Fort Harker in 1866

Ellsworth, KS Military History

Things to do Pioneer Life near Ellsworth, KS

Bell-Bogardus Indian Massacre and Cemetery

August 12, 1868 - At the homestead site of David A. Bogardus, 40 rods north of the Solomon River and 3 miles southeast of Wil...

80 Foot Wide Brick Streets

Take a walk along the 80 foot wide brick streets of downtown. WaKeeney was founded in 1879 by the efforts of a 33 year old Ch...