LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Dalton Cabin


category : Pioneer History
Dalton Cabin In 1889, the parents of the Dalton gang - Adaline Younger Dalton and James Lewis Dalton - planned to move to Oklahoma. Mr. Dalton died on the way, leaving Adaline with three young children to raise: Nancy, Leona, and Simon. An older, feeble-minded son named Charles Benjamin accompanied them.

They first lived in a dugout on the bank of Kingfisher Creek, a few miles north of Kingfisher. In 1892, Adaline or Ben exercised their homestead right and received land ten miles west of their original home. Ben lived on this farm, and Adaline remained on their original land.

In 1909 Adaline traded the improvements and leasing rights to this first farm and assumed a mortgage on land just north of the Gould Bridge, some seven miles east of Dover. Adaline and Simon moved to this location. Nannie and Eva May had already married, and Leona moved to Kingfisher about this time. This third homeplace for Mrs. Dalton is the one preserved on the grounds of the Chisholm Trail Museum.

Adaline lived here by herself until she moved to Kingfisher in 1919, where she lived with Leona until her death in 1925.

Leona made her living as a seamstress until her death in 1964. She was the last of the Dalton brothers and sisters to die. Today, seven Daltons are buried in the Kingfisher Cemetery, though only one, Emmet, was a member of the Dalton gang.

The Dalton Gang

The Dalton Brothers - Robert (Bob), Grafton (Graf), and Emmet Dalton - made a name for themselves in the west in only two short years. Their first robbery was in February, 1891, in Alila, California, and their last was in Coffeyville, Kansas, on October 5, 1892. In Coffeyville they tried to rob two banks at once, resulting in bob's and Graf's death. Emmet was severely wounded and later jailed. The three brothers never lived in this cabin.


Admission: $2 per person / Donations also accepted
Hours: Tuesday through Saturday -- 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed Sunday & Monday (and legal holidays)
Address: 605 Zellers Ave.
Phone: 405-375-5176
Fax: 405-375-5176
Museum Complex - Directions: From U.S. Hwy. 81 in Kingfisher, five blocks west on Seay Ave., one block north to Zellers Avenue

Come visit us in Kingfisher, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Cole Cabin

A more ordinary settler family was that of Samuel and Dorothy Cole. They built this cabin southeast of Hennessey in 1890. It was built of oak logs cut on the farm and hauled to the building site in a wagon drawn by a yoke of oxen.

Kingfisher, OK Pioneer History

Outdoor Sculptures

This sculpture on Main Street is on display for all to admire and to reflect on the history and contributions of those who gave of themselves for the growth of our cities and our country. "The Farmer - He Feeds the World" - Sculptor, Tasso Pitsiri Located above the sculpture is "

Kingfisher, OK Arts

Dalton Cabin

In 1889, the parents of the Dalton gang - Adaline Younger Dalton and James Lewis Dalton - planned to move to Oklahoma. Mr. Dalton died on the way, leaving Adaline with three young children to raise: Nancy, Leona, and Simon. An older, feeble-minded son named Charles Benjamin accompanied them.

Kingfisher, OK Pioneer History

Chisholm Trail Museum

The Chisholm Trail Museum, named for Jesse Chisholm, is situated directly on the Chisholm Trail and presents artifacts from the historic Chisholm cattle trail. See, first hand, items and their history and Kingfisher's place within.

Native American Artifacts

Kingfisher, OK Museums

Pioneer Telephone Building

This building was constructed in 1900 by the Anheuser Busch Brewing Association of St. Louis, Missouri. In 1922, the building was restored similar to its original appearance by Pioneer Telephone Cooperative, Inc.

Kingfisher, OK Historic Buildings

Things to do Pioneer History near Kingfisher, OK

Casita Blanca

On a 160 acre homestead claim of 1902, the "little white house" was built in the early 1920s by Joseph Feerer. Through the...