LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Fort O.K. Cannon


category : Landmarks
Fort O.K. Cannon
The cannon located on the South lawn of the Courthouse is dated 1853 and with the forged stamp of AMES CO. FOUNDERS, CHICOPEE, MASS.


"This cannon was left at Fort O.K. August 22, 1865 by Major J.R. Curtis 'for the protection of the settlement against attack by Hostile Indians'."


Presented to Hall County March 1, 1897 under the act of Congress of May 22, 1896.



Address: West First and South Locust Streets

Come visit us in Grand Island, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

St. Mary's Cathedral

Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary - National Register of Historic Places

St. Mary's Cathedral is one of the finest Late Gothic Revival churches in the state, constructed in 1926-28

Grand Island, NE Historic Churches

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church

This landmark English Gothic structure opened for worship on July 7, 1889. The church was constructed with red granite from Colorado and trimmed in gray sandstone from Wyoming. The stained glass windows were imported from Europe. In 1903

Grand Island, NE Historic Churches

Stuhr Museum

Experience the authentic lifestyle of America's prairie heritage at one of the nation's top ten Living History museums ... Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer!

Stuhr Museum is located on 200 acres

Grand Island, NE Museums

Oscar Roeser House

National Register of Historic Places

The Oscar Roeser House was built in 1908

Grand Island, NE NATIONAL REGISTER

Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church

Evangelische Lutherische Dreinenigkeit Kirche - National Register of Historic Places

Plans for the Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church were adopted in 1890, but construction did not begin until 1894

Grand Island, NE Historic Churches

Things to do Landmarks near Grand Island, NE

Pike-Pawnee Village and Historical Marker

Occupied from 1770 to about 1810 or later, the Pike-Pawnee National Historic Landmark has been the subject of intense...

Beauvais Ranche Station Site

Following a career with Pierre Chouteau, Jr. and Company, Geminian Pierre Beauvais established his own trading post in 1849 o...

Historical Markers in Hall County

California and Overland Trail Markers - Six identical granite markers were erected on July 4, 1923. The historical markers m...