LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Fort Sam Houston


category : Forts
Established in 1845 and moved to its present location in 1876, this installation has long been one of the Army's most important installations. The focal point of this National Historic Landmark, the Quadrangle and Watchtower, looks down upon the Headquarters of the Fifth Army. As the Home of Army Medicine, the post includes the Headquarters, U.S. Army Medical Command, the Army Medical Department Center and School, and Brooke Army Medical Center.


Address: 1212 Stanley Road

Come visit us in San Antonio, Texas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Natural Bridge Caverns

One of the world's premier caverns, take 75-minute tour through a half-mile of the largest show cavern in Texas. For the more daring spelunker, the Adventure Tour offers a physically demanding excursion into an undeveloped cavern (reservations are required for the Adventure Tour)

San Antonio, TX Caving

King William District

Area settled by prominent German merchants in late 19th century, designated state'

San Antonio, TX Historic Districts

Fort Sam Houston

Established in 1845 and moved to its present location in 1876, this installation has long been one of the Army'

San Antonio, TX Forts

Casa Navarro State Historic Site

Former home of eminent statesman, rancher, Jose Antonio Navarro. Site consists of three restored structures: his home, kitchen and office. Navarro was among signers of Texas Declaration of Independence. Restored by Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept.;

San Antonio, TX Historic Sites


Things to do Forts near San Antonio, TX

Fort Ringgold

One of Texas' best preserved old military posts; named for Maj. David Ringgold, first army officer killed in Battle of Palo A...

Fort Sam Houston

Established in 1845 and moved to its present location in 1876, this installation has long been one of the Army's most importa...

Fort McIntosh

Established by Army in 1848 immediately following Mexican War, fort was in continuous use until May, 1946. It was originally ...

Fort Duncan

Established 1849 and occupied by three companies of 1st U.S. Infantry Regiment. During Civil War, post was occupied by Confed...