LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Genoa Site - NHR


category : Archaeology

After nearly three decades of Sioux harassment and epidemic diseases, all four bands of the Pawnee Confederation agreed by an 1857 treaty to congregate at a single village near their agency on Beaver Creek, near present-day Genoa. Genoa was the final village of the Pawnee in Nebraska and was continuously occupied from 1847 to 1876, when the tribe was transferred to a reservation in Oklahoma. The site included the village, an earthen fortification, agency buildings, cemeteries, and trading posts. - Listed on the National Register of Historic Places


Come visit us in Genoa, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Burkett Archeological Site -NHR

Situated on a prominent natural terrace near the Loup River valley near Genoa, the Burkett Site comprises numerous earthlodge ruins covering an area of over 100

Genoa, NE Archaeology

Genoa Indian School Barns

Four barns still remain that were part of the U.S. Indian Industrial School (1844-1934)

Genoa, NE Historic Barns

Augustana Lutheran Church

Augustana Lutheran Church's organizing charter was signed October 31, 1910. A group of Swedish Lutherans had settled in the area north and east of Genoa. Work began as early as 1908

Genoa, NE Historic Churches

Pawnee Indian Village Mural

This scene shows the Pawnee Indian Village which was located one mile south of Genoa, Nebraska from 1858 to 1878, with their great Chief Petalesharo in the foreground. It is a picture of a large mural, 9' x 38'

Genoa, NE Arts


Things to do Archaeology near Genoa, NE