LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Genoa Site - NHR


category : Archaeology

After nearly three decades of Sioux harassment and epidemic diseases, all four bands of the Pawnee Confederation agreed by an 1857 treaty to congregate at a single village near their agency on Beaver Creek, near present-day Genoa. Genoa was the final village of the Pawnee in Nebraska and was continuously occupied from 1847 to 1876, when the tribe was transferred to a reservation in Oklahoma. The site included the village, an earthen fortification, agency buildings, cemeteries, and trading posts. - Listed on the National Register of Historic Places


Come visit us in Genoa, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

U.S. Indian Industrial School Museum

Founded in 1884, the U.S. Indian Industrial School was located on 320 acres in the town of Genoa. Opening with only one building, the school grew to include thirty-nine structures on 640 acres and a maximum student population of 600

Genoa, NE Indian Heritage

Augustana Lutheran Church

Augustana Lutheran Church's organizing charter was signed October 31, 1910. A group of Swedish Lutherans had settled in the area north and east of Genoa. Work began as early as 1908

Genoa, NE Historic Churches

Genoa Site - NHR

After nearly three decades of Sioux harassment and epidemic diseases, all four bands of the Pawnee Confederation agreed by an 1857

Genoa, NE Archaeology

Pawnee Indian Village Mural

This scene shows the Pawnee Indian Village which was located one mile south of Genoa, Nebraska from 1858 to 1878, with their great Chief Petalesharo in the foreground. It is a picture of a large mural, 9' x 38'

Genoa, NE Arts

Wright Site - NHR

Sometime between A.D. 1600 and 1750

Genoa, NE Archaeology

Things to do Archaeology near Genoa, NE