Gosper County was organized in 1873 with Daviesville the first county seat. The community retained that standing until 1884 when a county election made Homerville the county seat. With construction of the Burlington Railroad in the county beginning in 1886, there was considerable interest in moving the county seat to a site on the railroad. The third and final move of the county seat occurred in 1889, when Elwood was voted county seat. The wood-frame courthouse was moved to Elwood, where it served the county until a fire destroyed it in 1895. Its 1896 replacement served until the present Art Deco-style courthouse was constructed in 1939. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Hours: Open 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. weekdays
Address: 507 Smith Avenue
Phone: (308) 785-2611
Come visit us in Elwood, Nebraska