LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Phelps County Courthouse


category : Historic Courthouses
Phelps County Courthouse The railroad offered a city block to the citizens of Holdrege if they would build a courthouse. The ambitious merchants promptly provided the funds and the cornerstone was dedicated on October 10, 1884. Subsequently, the voters approved removal of the county seat to Holdrege on November 11 of that year. To avoid possible litigation over the matter, the records were "removed for safe keeping" (stolen) and county officers conducted business from various locations until the new building was ready to be occupied. The deed to the courthouse was presented at the July 4th celebration. A week later the officers moved in, although the building had not yet been painted.

The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


Address: 5th Ave. between East and West Aves.

Come visit us in Holdrege, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Holdrege Country Club

The Holdrege Country Club is a beautiful 18-hole, grass green, semi-private golf course and Country club.

Holdrege, NE Golf Courses



Bronze Sculpture

Greeting visitors to Holdrege is the beautiful 12' bronze sculpture, "Promise of the Prairie", by native artist, George Lundeen. It is a promise for today and tomorrow; The promise that living in Phelps County is a good life with room to grow and laugh and love.

Holdrege, NE Arts

C B & Q Depot

The Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy (C B & Q) Railroad depot was built in 1910. Also known as Ironhorse Station, the depot, listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Holdrege, NE Railroad History

Things to do Historic Courthouses near Holdrege, NE