LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Grace Episcopal Church


category : Historic Churches
Grace Episcopal Church Built in 1884 on the corner of Second and Walnut, the Grace Protestant Episcopal Church was moved to its present location in 1891. The brick veneer was added sometime after 1922. Grace Episcopal Church is the church in which Willa Cather and her parents were confirmed on December 27, 1922. The Cather family was dedicated to this church and Willa Cather remained a loyal member until her death in 1947. On the north side are two windows given by Cather in memory of her parents. She chose The Good Shepherd for her father because she had happy memories of him as a sheep rancher back in Virginia. The walnut altar rail was given in memory of her brother, Douglas Cather. This church held a memorial service for Willa Cather following her death in 1947. A mass is offered annually at Cather Spring Conference, and also on Cather's birthday, December 7th. The church was restored and donated by the Willa Cather Pioneer Memorial and Educational Foundation.


Address: 500 block of Webster Street

Come visit us in Red Cloud, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Chief Red Cloud

Red Cloud, the English name of Makhpiya Luta, the Oglala Sioux chief, and his followers were prominent participants in the Powder River War of 1865 and other subsequent battles. The chief himself was a significant player in the failure of the army's 1865

Red Cloud, NE Famous People

Willa Cather State Historic Site

The Farmers' and Merchants' Bank building, 1889, was erected by Silas Garber, the founder of Red Cloud (1871), the fourth governor of Nebraska (1875-1879), and the prototype for Captain Forrester in A Lost Lady.

Red Cloud, NE Historic Sites

The State Bank Building

The State Bank Building, 1883, with its entrance on the diagonal, is made of native brick and was one of the first brick buildings in Red Cloud.

Red Cloud, NE Historic Buildings

Starke Round Barn

Nebraska's largest round barn and one of the nation's largest, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in April 1972, and is still in use today. It was built in 1902-3

Red Cloud, NE Historic Buildings

The Methodist Church

[The Methodist Church] The Methodist Church building described in My Antonia , now serves as a Masonic Lodge. Cather tells how, during the winter, the children were starved for color and how they stood in the cold and looked at the stained glass windows: "

Red Cloud, NE Historic Churches

Things to do Historic Churches near Red Cloud, NE

St. John's Lutheran German Church & Cemetery

The German-Lutheran congregation was established in 1886, and the present frame church building was constructed in 1925-26. T...