LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Historic Downtown Superior


category : National Register
Historic Downtown Superior Downtown Superior has been designated a National Historic District. Several of the storefronts have been restored to their original appearance or redecorated to accentuate the Victorian motif. The designated area covers four square blocks and is representative of business districts from 1883 to 1937. Basic elements of several buildings are still evident, including a cast-iron building with a steel facade which is rather rare in Nebraska.

Laid out in 1875, three buildings were built that year, two businesses and a schoolhouse. By 1877, there were six business buildings and a population of 150. Two years later, in 1879, Superior was incorporated as a city. Lady Vestey's father Hans O.T. Brodstone, was a member of the trustees. Buildings started turning from wood to brick by 1880 as news of the approaching railroad reached town. Railroads have always been, and still are, an important part of Superior's economic stability and financial growth.


Come visit us in Superior, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Log Cabin - Home - Post Office

Superior's original building, a log cabin, was built by William Louden and several of his friends in 1872. The building served as a home, post office and trading post. As acting postmaster, Louden (paid $1 per month for his efforts) established "daily service,"

Superior, NE Museums

Outdoor Murals

In 1993 this 100-foot wall mural depicting a typical Victorian street and business logos from early Superior, was designed and painted by Anne Beeson, an art teacher at the Clarkson Public Schools. It incorporates features of 15 historic buildings in the town.

Superior, NE Arts

Historic Downtown Superior

Downtown Superior has been designated a National Historic District. Several of the storefronts have been restored to their original appearance or redecorated to accentuate the Victorian motif. The designated area covers four square blocks and is representative of business districts from 1883

Superior, NE National Register

One-room Schoolhouse

Now, nearly extinct as an educational institution, this one room school, built in 1884, stands proudly on the museum grounds - a monument to the importance the prairie pioneer placed on educating their young. Many a rural student was provided eight years of "readin','ritin', and 'rithmetic"

Superior, NE Historic Schoolhouses

The Vestey Center

The Vestey Center was built in 1929 in the art deco style. The hotel was originally named "The Nebraskan" (a joining of the names Nebraska and Kansas)

Superior, NE Historic Hotels

Things to do National Register near Superior, NE

Keim Stone Arch Bridge - NHR

As indicated by a plate on the bridge itself, the Keim Stone Arch was built in 1916 by the Keim Cement Company...