LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Hotel Yancey (Yancey Motor Hotel)


category : NATIONAL REGISTER
Hotel Yancey (Yancey Motor Hotel) National Register of Historic Places


Named for its proprietor, William L. Yancey, the hotel was begun in April of 1917, financed by the Bankers Realty Investment Company of Omaha, Nebraska, for the North American Hotel Company. The company was building a chain of hotels in Nebraska, Iowa, and Kansas towns, accessible to the railroad depots and business districts.


This "chain concept" permitted a standardization of service, bulk purchase of supplies, quantity discounts, and lower costs to the consumer. From its opening in 1923, the Yancey was the center of social and political activity for Grand Island. An early twentieth century high-rise structure, the 11 story, 150-room hotel illustrates the Renaissance Revival style. Due to the development of motels, a decline in railroad downtown business district, the hotel closed in December 1982. The building has been rehabilitated as a stylish condominium and office complex.


Address: 123 North Locust Street

Come visit us in Grand Island, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Stuhr Museum

Experience the authentic lifestyle of America's prairie heritage at one of the nation's top ten Living History museums ... Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer!

Stuhr Museum is located on 200 acres

Grand Island, NE Museums

Carnegie Public Library Building

National Register of Historic Places

On April 27, 1903, President Theodore Roosevelt broke ground for the construction of a new Grand Island public library. A $20,000

Grand Island, NE NATIONAL REGISTER

Fort O.K. Cannon

The cannon located on the South lawn of the Courthouse is dated 1853 and with the forged stamp of AMES CO. FOUNDERS, CHICOPEE, MASS.

"This cannon was left at Fort O.K. August 22, 1865 by Major J.R. Curtis 'for the protection of the settlement against attack by Hostile Indians'."

Grand Island, NE Landmarks

Liederkranz

National Register of Historic Places

Liederkranz means "a wreath of songs." In 1870, German settlers met to organize a German singing society to provide musical and social entertainment and to cultivate the member'

Grand Island, NE NATIONAL REGISTER

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church

This landmark English Gothic structure opened for worship on July 7, 1889. The church was constructed with red granite from Colorado and trimmed in gray sandstone from Wyoming. The stained glass windows were imported from Europe. In 1903

Grand Island, NE Historic Churches

Things to do NATIONAL REGISTER near Grand Island, NE