Upcoming Events in Lindsborg Kansas
King Knut's Day
- 12 noon Conclusion of the holiday celebration! Community potluck at Bethany Lutheran Church.
Annual Chocolate Lover's Affair
- Enjoy an evening of elegance and chocolate specialties as local chefs compete for your vote.
The Lindsborg Arts & Humanities Award is presented and a live action of art and chocolate raises money for scholarships given to Smoky Valley Seniors who will be majoring in the arts. An evening of romance...Priceless! For the auction there is Master Card.
Messiah Festival of the Arts
- Beautiful Presser Hall Auditorium is large enough that Handel’s Messiah WILL be performed on Easter Sunday with socially distanced and masked full orchestra and chorus!
-All events will be livestreamed!
EASTER WEEK - The Messiah Festival of Music & Art since 1882. Presentations of Handel's "Messiah" and Bach's "St. Matthew's Passion" plus recitals, concerts and art exhibitions. Reserved seating. The Messiah Festival of Music and Art takes place during Holy Week. Messiah Festival of the Arts is the longest-running performances of Handel's Messiah in North America, now in its 131th year.
Performances are Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday at 3pm. Bach's St. Matthew Passion is presented on Good Friday at 7:30pm.
Also, art exhibits will be around town and on campus.
|17||Artists' Studio Spring Open House - Highly anticipated, this bi-annual event abounds with prolific artists, both local and regional. Experience art being created in central Kansas and meet the artists opening their studios for you. Acquaint yourself for the first time or yet again to the welcoming artistic community of Lindsborg. Start at the Red Barn Studio at 212 S. Main and pick up a map to serve as your guide. Sponsored by the Red Barn Studio and the Lindsborg Arts Council.|
|1 - 2||
- FIRST SATURDAY and SUNDAY - A celebration of McPherson County history featuring a dry run of the Smoky Valley Roller Mill and other living history demonstrations. Visitors are invited to experience the sights and sounds of early Kansas flour milling at the McPherson County Old Mill Museum's annual event. During the event, only the wheels, belts and pulleys turn again at the region's oldest operational roller mill. Professional millers direct operations as visitors take tours of the one hundred year old mill in action. Across the grounds, artisans demonstrate crafts once a vital part of prairie lifestyle.
Get away to an earlier era by tasting homemade ice cream and BBQ, tapping your feet to Americana music and learning traditional arts, such as spinning and woodcarving. A quilt show will feature exquisite historic quilts at the 1904 World's Fair Swedish Pavilion. It is a weekend of family fun!
Guided tours of the mill ongoing for ages 13 and older. A viewing area outside the mill is available for those under 13. Saturday 9am - 5pm; Sunday 12noon - 5pm.
Midsommardag - Midsummer's Day Festival
- The celebration of the Summer solstice was originally a fertility festival with many customs and rituals associated with nature and with the hope for a good harvest in the coming autumn. Lindsborg's young and old dance around the decorated Midsummer's Pole while listening to traditional folk songs. We invite you to join in! Legend says if you place seven kinds of Midsummer's blooms under your pillow you will dream of your true love! Help create your very own blomkran (flower crown) and try your skills at Kubb, a 1,000 year old Viking game. Listen to ethnic music and taste yummy Scandinavian style food and pastries. Children can participate in activities throughout the day.
Held every year in "Little Sweden USA" on the third weekend in June.
|4||Old Fashioned Fourth of July Celebration - Bring a blanket or lawn chairs to Swensson Park located at the 400 block of N. Main and enjoy a patriotic evening of food, fellowship and holiday fun. 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM|
|16 - 24||
Broadway RFD presents - Mamma Mia!
- Each summer, Broadway RFD presents a live onstage musical "under a blanket of stars" in the Swensson Park Band Shell. All shows begin at 8:30 p.m. Two Weekends, Friday and Saturday.
Tickets can be purchased at the at the gate and online at www.broadwayrfd.org . 8:00 p.m. by Kansas' longest running outdoor theatre.
|17||Storm the Castle, a Cycling Event - The Mowbray Metric Weekend is an annual celebration of cycling put on by the McPherson Area Cyclists. Three rides that take place over two days in McPherson and Lindsborg feature fun cycling experiences for the entire family. Storm the Castle is a gravel ride that tests your endurance starting at 7:15 am through hilly gravel with a final climb up to Coronado Heights for a light lunch.|
Smoky Valley Classic Car Show
- This show's popularity stems from the shade-filled location and small town hospitality. Growing larger each year, the car show gives out 100 awards to participants. Registration begins at 8:00 am at Swensson Park. Judging is from 10:00 am - 2:30pm. Awards begin at 3pm. Food Vendors.
*Best Other GM Product
*Best Other Ford Product
*Best Street Rod**
*Best Paint (other than original paint job)
*Best Engine Compartment
*Best Club Participation - Largest paid registration from a single club
*Long Haul Award - Furthest distance traveled (one way) by entry car, either driven or trailered.
*Best Display - Historically accurate memorabilia, attire, theme, trunk/engine/interior display
**Not available to production vehicles built in 1995 or later
|14||Lindsborg Annual Street Dance - Who is ready to get your dance on? Bring the family, your lawn chair and get ready to dance the night away with King Midas and his hoppin' band for Lindsborg's annual street dance!|
|8 - 9||
- Lindsborg's Svensk Hyllningsfest is a biennial tribute to the Swedish pioneers occurring in October of odd numbered years. The festival features art, crafts, special foods, ethnic music, folk dancing, parade, smorgasbord, and special entertainment. Many of Lindsborg's residents don traditional Swedish folk costumes for the event. Swedish folk dance groups and musicians add to the Swedish flavor of the festival.
Swedish music filters down the streets and through the windows during the three day festival. The first Svensk Hyllningsfest was held in October 1941, to honor the Swedish pioneers who settled in the Smoky Valley in 1868-69.
Festival Royalty is selected from folks over the age of 65, of Swedish descent, who have contributed significantly to the community. Entertainment is non-stop during the three day period. Primarily Swedish music and folk dancing by both local and visiting performers. One much looked forward to part of the program is the Swedish folk dances and games by the grade school and middle school students. The Saturday night entertainment is something you won't want to miss.
|9||Coronado Heights Run - 15K and 5K; 1 mile youth run; 2 mile fun walk. And yes, with the 15K, you DO go up and down Coronado Heights (a mile up 300 feet) in the middle of the run!|
Falun Classic Bike Ride
- A 32-mile fun bike ride on black top through the beautiful Smoky Valley area. This ride is designed to be a fun ride and not a race. Begins at Swensson Park in Lindsborg, goes south on Main Street, west on Hwy 4, north and east on Falun Road, south on 13th Avenue, and east on Swensson Street to end at Swensson Park.
Meet at Swensson Park at 1:00 p.m.
Ride begins at 1:30 p.m.
Address: Swensson Park/400 blk of N. Main Street , Lindsborg, Kansas
Lindsborg Holiday Open House
- Lindsborg Holiday Open House! Start your holiday season with a full day of fun and shopping in Little Sweden, USA. Enjoy this all-day experience as businesses will be open from 10:00am-5:00pm.
|4||Artists' Studio Christmas Open House - Acquaint yourself for the first time or yet again to the welcoming artistic community of Lindsborg. Start at the Red Barn Studio (212 S. Main) and pick up a map to serve as your guide.|
|4||Snowflake Parade - "C'mon, get snowflaky!" All angels, Santas, snowballs, elves, bells, snowflakes, fairies and jul tomtes are welcome! The Snowflake Parade is for children of all ages. Don't just come and watch, plan to be in the parade. Begins at noon.|
|5||Jultide at Bethany College - Each year, the first Sunday in December, the Bethany College Department of Music presents a special program for the Smoky Valley entitled "Jultide at Bethany." This celebration is widely considered the beginning of the Christmas season in Lindsborg and beyond. Begins at 4:00 p.m. in Presser Hall on Bethany College campus. "The Many Moods of Christmas."|
Old Fashioned Christmas
- Bringing back the holidays of yesteryear, the Old Mill Museum presents an Old Fashioned Christmas. Enjoy a shepherd sharing the traditional Christmas story in the stable, a guided tour of the historic Smoky Valley Roller Mills, Santa Claus, children's crafts and cookie decorating. Ring in the holiday season with this memorable family event! Follow the glowing lanterns from activity to activity in the historic buildings.
Second Saturday, 5:30pm – 8:00pm
Address: Old Mill Museum, 120 Mill Street , Lindsborg, Kansas
- Second Saturday - Lucia Fest ushers in Christmas season according to 18th century Swedish tradition, live Christmas music, folk dancing, and crowning of Lucia. The Swedish Christmas (Jul) begins on December 13. Early in the morning, households are awakened by "Lucia", usually the oldest daughter of the family, dressed in a traditional white robe with crimson sash, and wearing a crown with lighted candles. It is customary for her to carry a tray with coffee and special saffron buns or ginger cookies to each one in the family as she serenades them with the lovely old Sicilian melody, Santa Lucia.
The Lindsborg Lucia Festival honors light and hope on the longest day of darkness.
Christmas Cookies with Mrs. Claus
- Stop by First Bank Kansas to share your Christmas wishes with Mrs. Claus. There will be sugar cookies for the kids to decorate and hot chocolate for all to enjoy! Warm up inside before heading downtown to finish out your holiday shopping list.
Address: First Bank Kansas, Lindsborg branch: 118 N. Main St., Lindsborg, KS, 67456
- Julotta - Christmas Morning, December 25.
Bethany Lutheran Church, 6:00 a.m. (annually)
Come early and enjoy the beautiful sounds of a brass ensemble sending the call to worship at 5:45am from the bell tower of the beautiful church. A memorable way to start your Christmas morning.
Julotta in Swedish means Christmas morn, otta is the time which is slightly before dawn.
- Annandag Jul - Day after Christmas, December 26.
Bethany Lutheran Church, 10:00 a.m.
Annandag Jul means literally "another day of Christmas" an official part of the Christmas holiday in Sweden. Annandag Jul marks the the middle days between the beginning of the Christmas season and New Years. Join in the celebration at Bethany Lutheran Church for a church gathering in Swedish and English.