Manka Residence

category : Famous Homes
This house was octagon in shape before an addition was built on. The entrance to the house is of particular interest. Two tall, fluted Corinthian Pillars guard the narrow door entrance. The heavy deeply carved pediment above the door once held a large, fiercely glaring lion's head carved of limestone. Unfortunately, it was removed years ago by an owner who complained of the lion's inhospitable expression! This has had many occupants, among them, long ago, an Irish family, whose sons took shots at each other when tempers ran high. For years, bullet holes could be seen in the rooms, but these exciting evidences have since been plastered over and life goes on there now at an even pace.

Address: 411 East 4th Street

Come visit us in Alma, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Alma United Methodist Church

This wood frame church was built and dedicated to the Glory of God in 1878. The frame building was of a simple design with narrow pointed gothic arched windows and a slender belfry atop the roof, which boasted the first church bell in Alma. In 1906

Alma, KS Historic Churches

Eck/Stratton Residence

The gingerbread trim home was built by Mr. Eck, who was a lumberman in Alma. It was built in 1904 and features a turret room, a tower resembling a castle, and original lap siding.

Alma, KS Famous Homes

D.R. and E.W. Bruman/Schroeder Residence

Over the door, chiseled in ornate German script the date, 1882

Alma, KS Famous Homes

Wabaunsee County Court House

This beautiful building was constructed in 1931. It is constructed of Carthage and native stone. The Carthage stone, used on the outside for facing, gives the appearance of a granite building. All outside walls are backed up with eight inches of native stone.

Alma, KS Historic Courthouses

Things to do Famous Homes near Alma, KS

Turner Residence

This home was built in the 1880s also. Up until recent years it housed Alma's funeral home, with the funeral director living ...

Sage/Laverty Residence

This house, built in the early 1880s was originally a four room house, owned by Frank I. Sage. Mr. Sage added four more rooms...

Gronquist Residence

This home was originally a coach stop and inn in the 1870s and much later, bought and added onto by A.S. Allendorph, a well k...