LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Milam County Courthouse


category : Historic Courthouses
This is the fourth structure to serve as the Milam County Courthouse. The local Masonic Lodge laid the cornerstone for the building on July 4, 1891. Designed by architect A. O. Watson of Austin, the courthouse at one time featured a Second Empire style roof and a cupola with a four-sided clock. The clock was removed and the roof altered in a 1938 renovation project by the Federal Works Progress Administration. As the center of county government for over a century, the courthouse stands as a significant part of Milam County history.


Address: S. Central Ave.

Come visit us in Cameron, Texas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Site of First Home in Cameron

An historical marker marks the boyhood home of L. S. "Sul" Ross (1838-1898) Texas Governor from 1887 to 1891. L. S. Ross who was a Confederate general served as president of Texas A. &

Cameron, TX Historic Sites

Sneed Log Cabin

In 1838, Joseph P. Sneed crossed the prairies on horseback to bring his family and the Bible to a new home in Texas. He and his young wife Achsah Harris Sneed first settled in Port Sullivan. Eleven years later they packed their things and moved to the Cross Roads community, about 30

Cameron, TX Pioneer Life

Milam County Historical Museum

Housed in the restored county jail, c. 1895, the Milam County Historical Museum is complete with cells, shackles, and gallows tower. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, view exhibits of pioneer farm and ranch equipment, rustic household furnishings, and Spartan "fashions"

Cameron, TX Museums

Magnolia House

Known as the Magnolia House and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this fully restored Victorian house was the home of prominent citizens in Cameron, Dr. Nathan and Lula Cass, for over a century. The Octagon Mode, Queen Anne style house was built in 1895

Cameron, TX Historic Homes

All Saints Episcopal Church

Episcopal worship services were held in Cameron as early as 1860, though All Saints Episcopal Church was not organized as a mission until 1901. The Diocese of Texas purchased this property from A. J. and Jennie Dossett in 1906. This structure was completed in 1907

Cameron, TX Historic Churches

Things to do Historic Courthouses near Cameron, TX

Johnson County Courthouse

The Johnson County Courthouse,built in 1912 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, features an open r...

Milam County Courthouse

This is the fourth structure to serve as the Milam County Courthouse. The local Masonic Lodge laid the cornerstone for the bu...