LASR.net Homepage




Menu

North Elm Cemetery


category : Cemeteries
Many of the Settlers of North Elm came from Alabama beginning in 1867, including John George LaGrone (1792-1870), whose dated gravestone is the oldest in this burial ground. Land for the cemetery was initially deeded by B. J. Arnold in 1883, followed by additional land donations by W. J. Valentine in 1886 and J. C. Mayfield in 1912. A chronicle of the early pioneers and generations of families in this are of Milam County, the cemetery includes graves of fourteen confederate soldiers and two Texas Rangers -- brothers Ellzey and James Perkins. A cemetery association formed in 1958 oversees the care of the site.

- Historic Texas Cemetery - 2000


Come visit us in Cameron, Texas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

The Bridges of Milam County

Some of Milam county's 100-plus steel bridges from the 1900 era are still in use today. Brushy Creek Bridge once spanned Bushy Creek south of Thorndale until it was moved to Cameron'

Cameron, TX Historic Bridges

All Saints Episcopal Church

Episcopal worship services were held in Cameron as early as 1860, though All Saints Episcopal Church was not organized as a mission until 1901. The Diocese of Texas purchased this property from A. J. and Jennie Dossett in 1906. This structure was completed in 1907

Cameron, TX Historic Churches

St. Monica's Catholic Church

Founded in 1883, the congregation of St. Monica's Catholic Church erected this structure in 1927-28

Cameron, TX Historic Churches

S. S. Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church

Through the efforts of fellow immigrant Joseph Russek, many Czech families came to this area of Milam County in the 1880s. The first Catholic Mass in the Maraksville settlement was conducted by a visiting priest in the Kaspar Kubecka home in 1883, and later services were held in other homes. In 1889

Cameron, TX Historic Churches

North Elm Cemetery

Many of the Settlers of North Elm came from Alabama beginning in 1867, including John George LaGrone (1792-1870), whose dated gravestone is the oldest in this burial ground. Land for the cemetery was initially deeded by B. J. Arnold in 1883

Cameron, TX Cemeteries

Things to do Cemeteries near Cameron, TX

North Elm Cemetery

Many of the Settlers of North Elm came from Alabama beginning in 1867, including John George LaGrone (1792-1870), whose dated...

Masonic Cemetery

Located on Old Chappell Hill Road on the Chappell Hill's west side, this scenic cemetery contains grave sites of heroes from ...

Mt. Zion Cemetery and Historical Chapel

The Burton Heritage Society maintains this historic cemetery and church building. The cemetery contains graves of early settl...