All that remains of the original Fort Wallace now is the old post cemetery, enclosed by stone walls within the Wallace Township cemetery. In December of 1885, the U.S. Government extricated the bodies of 88 soldiers with headstones marked between 1867-1879, and moved them to Ft. Leavenworth. Still, more than 100 graves were left, including U. S. Scouts who were not members of the conventional army.
The cenotaph that was erected in 1867 by the troops of Ft. Wallace still stands in the center of the cemetery in commemoration of the soldiers that gave their lives at the fort.
Address: One and a half miles Southwest of Wallace on Highway 40.
Our Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Come visit us in Sharon Springs, Kansas